Remission

Brynn's POV

-

"Kids, remember if mom has bad news, don't cry in front of her or talk about it" I told my brothers and sister. They nodded as the receptionist handed us our visitors passes. We stuck them onto our chests and walked to the room that we knew all too well, our mother's hospital room.

We got to mom's room and walked in, she looked up at us and smiled. It was obviously fake, I mean, she hasn't been happy since the day that Kyler was born.

"Hey kids" mom said as she sat up.

"Hey mommy!" Kyler chirped as he climbed into mom's bed and cuddled up next to her.

"Hey mama!" Mark, my nine year old brother said.

"Hi mom" Katie and Jakey said flatly.

"Hey mom" I said as I sat next to her bed.

"How was school kids?" Mom asked.

"I got picked to be line leader in class by Mrs. Derrick! And I got a one hundred on my spelling test!" Kyler said.

"I laughed so hard that milk came out of my nose" Mark said.

"I got pushed into a pond after school by Johnny" Jakey said.

"I didn't get in trouble, today" Katie said.

"That's great, kids" mom said.

"How was your day, Brynn?" She asked.

"It was good, I had lunch with a friend I made yesterday" I told her.

"Give us details!" Katie demanded.

"I met him at Hot Topic yesterday, he's cute, he's in a band called Motionless in White, he's goth, he's only like two inches taller than me" I said.

"He didn't come into the house and you guys didn't do anything inappropriate right?" Mom asked.

"He came into the house, but only for a few minutes while I was finding the house key, and we only talked during lunch, no hugging or kissing or groping or any funny business was involved" I assured her.

"Good, because that was how your son happened" she said.

"Anyway, mom, what was the good news you have?" I asked. The room fell silent before she sighed.

"I went into remission kids! I can go home today!" She said, we all hugged her and helped her out of bed.

"Oh my god mom! That's great!" I said as we walked to the front desk so I could sign her out.

"I know it is sweetie! I want you to go out tonight, Brynn" she said.

"Mom, I can't do that, I want us to celebrate you going into remission" I told her as I signed the paperwork.

"Honey, I'll hang out with your siblings and then you and I can hang out tomorrow while they're at school" she said.

"I guess I'll talk to Ricky, and tell him that you're making me go out tonight" I said as I handed the paperwork back to the receptionist.

"If you're hanging out with that boy tonight, I want to meet him, because I wanna know what you're getting yourself into by hanging out with him" she said as we walked out the doors of the hospital.

"Mom, there's absolutely nothing going on between us" I told her.

"You said that about Sam  but you guys ended up having a kid together and he took off with that kid" she said. I rolled my eyes as we piled into my car.

"That was when I was on drugs, mom" I said. She grimaced. She's still appalled that I was on drugs, she doesn't really like me smoking, although, she smokes herself. She's just trying to protect her cubs like a mother bear.