35/ Through These Eyes

* DISCLAIMER: Contains explicit language, drug use, violent references, sexual content.

Monday · April 22, 2002

After Alice had woken up, she stayed awake for only about an hour before sleeping the rest of the day. Hanna stayed right by her side, refusing to leave now that she was out of the coma.

The girls didn't know what to think. Was this memory loss temporary? How could she lose 15 months of memories? Were her injuries worse than everyone described?

Corey arrived this morning, breaking out in tears at the sight of his best friend still lying in the hospital bed. He had brought Joey, Jim, Chris, Paul and Sid along with him. Getting Sid here was no easy task, but he knew it was the best decision in the end.

They all talked quietly with Mandy and Hanna, who explained that while Alice was awake, she said her last memory was so long ago. Everyone's hearts broke at that moment, all over again.

Sure, Sid had abandoned her, and he deserved to pay for that. But how could she forget him entirely? Every moment they had ever spent together, forgotten.

When Corey called telling him that she was breathing on her own and they needed to get there, Sid explained he quit showing up because he couldn't handle the way his heart felt being here. Corey told him that was a bullshit excuse and he better be ready to leave within the next hour.

Corey, however, had been locked in his house writing music. He couldn't do anything else to keep himself sane, after the last time he'd left this hospital.

The guilt of him also giving up on her was eating him alive and he accepted the harsh words Mandy gave both him and Sid when they arrived.

"And, Sidney, where the hell exactly have you been that's so much more important than being with your girlfriend whose been in a coma for almost four months?" Mandy asked him as they stood outside smoking. Her hand was propped on her hip, and she was clearly seething at just the sight of him.

He'd lost some weight; his hair was tangled and pulled back in a low ponytail. He wore a loose jersey shirt with his signature Dickie's cargo pants and Adidas. He still looked like Sid. Just older, and much sadder. His once bright blue eyes, much like Corey's, were a dull grey.

"Honestly?" he asked timidly as he tried to run a hand through his long, curly locks. Mandy clicked her tongue in response, raising a brow at his behavior.

"I've been, uh- I've been going to therapy three times a week," he looked down at the ground as he talked.

"Hah. That's a new one. Therapy? Where have you really been, Sidney? What's her name?" Mandy wasn't believing it for a second.