029

029 // CONTRASTING

"be as you wish to seem

"be as you wish to seem."

//

Taehyung and Helena walk round the paths of their university. the corridors are occupied, canteen buzzing with the energy of students and teachers who can't wait to fill their stomachs. the university is loud at this busy time.

it's something they always do- catching up, dropping each other off to classes and enjoying their limited time together. they hold their satchel and backpack securely as they talk away.

that's until their precious time together is interrupted by a surprising yet awaiting presence. Taehyung doesn't flinch as he continues to wipe his glasses clean but Helena does- ready to attack whoever scared her. it turns out it's someone who's not scary at all.

"i'm stealing my girlfriend." Yoongi announces, frosty hand wrapping around Helena's arm. his side knocks into hers as he suddenly feels warm. he loves being around her.

his pale, veiny hand takes her away- pulling her towards him as Helena is taken away from Taehyung.

"you called me your girlfriend!" Helena gasps, removing her arm from his now becoming safe, grasp. she wants to scream joyfully, tease him, even wrap her arms around him and hug him. but he'll freeze like the winter outside- they'll both just freeze.

"does that make you happy?" Yoongi asks. a hint of a smile is gracing his lips as he asks the question. the boy just can't stop smiling.

to see Helena so happy by something he did makes his insides melt. having a crush, being with your crush- is this what it feels like? like you're being trampled on yet adored with so much affection that it suffocates you. you know it won't last yet it's toxic temperance in the most euphoric form to exist.

"you do." is what Helena replies with.

the couple spot tall, book carrying Jungkook in the corridor. people move out of the way for him, without him even realising. he's wearing a smile that says everything.

the younger raises his brows, teasing Yoongi and Helena as his ringed hands come out of the pockets of his cargo, blank pants- shivering. he forgot Taehyung's gloves. maybe he just wants an excuse to see him.

"hi. it's nice to see you both... together." Jungkook seems amused. he emphasises the togetherness. he glances at them, one after the other with a certain kind of joy in his brown eyes. he's happy for his best friend.

"why's it nice?" baffled Helena asks.

"because Yoongi's always had this crush on you." Jungkook gets ready to run. he loves to mock his hyung.

"shut the fuck up before i-" Yoongi chases him.

//

Namjoon and Helena don't argue a lot.

as siblings, they've never argued as much as what's expected. they've been civil, humane and understanding with each other all their lives. when they were younger, they looked out for each other. they needed to because being in a care home is lonely.

as the two got older, their perceptions changed yet stayed in correlation. they listened and understood each other whenever they discussed sensitive topics or even the news.

but today was different.

Helena usually listened to Namjoon's opinion on family matters, on something that meant a lot to her but today she was losing her patience.

"he's so selfish. why did he leave?" Namjoon looks in the mirror, glancing at the man he has become. he's still got a long way to go. "poor Helia." he mutters the last two words- knowing maybe they all deserved better than what they got.

but isn't that what everyone thinks? we have things thrown at us without warning and we think we deserve better. maybe it was meant to happen, to help you and change you. you may not see it now but you will one day.

"i keep forgetting i have a brother." Namjoon says quietly. Helena can sense the distaste and hurt in the tone of his voice.

"she has us though, are you forgetting?" Helena argues back. she watches as Namjoon sits on the couch, hands clasped in front of him as he takes off his rings- one by one. "he may have left but at least she has three supporting caregivers." she reassures gently.

"some kids have nothing." Helena has heard and read many stories. she can't recall all of them but the negativity and horrid nature is something she can't forget. some children are brought into this world and given treatment that no one deserves. "god Joon, some kids don't have parents or people that love and respect them. some are in care homes with no other option where to go because they want a chance in life." how can you forget our past?

"yes Jimin left but everyone makes mistakes, don't they?" Helena tries to reason with her brother. "and if he ever comes back ... maybe we should welcome him with open arms and try to understand."

Namjoon looks at his sister. all he sees is a good person with a good heart. he has a lot to learn from her. "what if he doesn't come back?" the question floats in the air- silencing them.

"then he doesn't."

//

Helia approaches Helena on the couch, sitting next to her.

"what's it like having a sibling?"

Helena immediately looks at her niece in surprise. "why do you ask?" she asks. it's not the first time Helia has approached her with such questions of deep meaning and emotions.

"i heard you and dad arguing."

Helena nods. Helia is more observant than she thought. "it's not always arguing and screaming at each other." she tells the little girl. "it's nice at times. for example, when we ride our bikes." it's moments they cherish deeply.

"do you think i'll ever get a younger sibling?"

Helena laughs nervously. "ah i don't know." she wraps her arm around Helia's neck carefully, pulling her into her lap. "but for now you're stuck with me."

"i heard that name Jimin in your argument." Helia doesn't drop the subject. she doesn't laugh either. "who is it again?"

Helena tenses. "oh just somebody i used to know..."

"used to?"

"he left. he ran away."

"oh why?"

"sometimes when life gets tough, people run away with no idea where they're going or what they're doing." Helena explains. that's how she sees it. there's always reasons behind everything and blaming people is useless.

"where did he go?" Helia's childish and inquisitive nature shows as she listens to every word.

"no one knows."

"what do you have to do instead of running?"

"come to those who will be there for you and support you."