Chapter 16

GESTE

"GOOD afternoon, ma'am. I finished cleaning everything but didn't cook because you said you're not going to eat here. So, can I leave now, ma'am?" said the outgoing maid who's just coming to my house to clean every day.

Her name is Hilda. She is also a working student that I am supporting. I hired Hilda through my resources.

She's been the caretaker of my house ever since I bought and built a house in this lot four years ago. Hilda is in her fourth year in the course of accountancy at UP, and I can say she's doing great in the field that she has chosen. For four years, I can say that I have trusted her about anything regarding my house and also my secrets.

"Yes, Hilda. Thank you. Send my regards to your mom." She nodded.

"I'm so happy that I have finally met you, ma'am. You're gorgeous in person. You're like a supermodel. I can't believe I've been working with a beautiful woman for all these years," she said with awe in her voice. We were in the living room talking and giving her my come-back present.

"Thank you. You're not that bad either," I said, smiling. It's true; Hilda is also a pretty face but not my type of girl. I only like her as a sister. She smiled back at what I had said.

"Thank you, ma'am. By the way, can I have your autograph?" she said while skimming in her bag, finding a pen and something to write on, I guess. And when she found it, she held it for me.

I laugh at her actions. "Oh, come on, Kat. Please don't do that. I'm not an actor or a model." She blushed and brought back her things to her bag.

"How about a... photo? Please, ma'am." Oh, she's desperate with this.

"Alright. Come here. Let's take a selfie." Then she took a continuous three-shot photo of us on her phone and then drifted off.

Aww, what a hilarious gal.

When I was alone, I went to my room and took a shower, then went to my favorite part of the house, my cooking area.

All that I needed was intact here. Hilda did a good job doing and buying the entire list that I had told her to buy.

I wore my apron and put my red hair into a messy bun. Inside my apron, I just wore my favorite outfit when cooking, my sports bra and short shorts. Anyway, nobody can perv around because I'm so alone in my house.

Before I started cooking, I let my iPod blast off inside the room with songs by The Script. I love the voice of the singer of this band. His voice relaxes me and relieves me. His soothing voice loosens up my every stress muscle and vein. Oops! That sounds pervy, but that's not what I meant.

Then, after a couple of minutes of singing and my first song choice, The man who can't be move, I started working and cooking with my talented hands. Ahh, it's excellent, and it's so peaceful having the entire house all by yourself. No trespassers, no nuisance. I love the silence. I love the ambiance.

I didn't regret buying this lot four years ago. When my hired detective informed me that this lot was for sale, I did not have second thoughts about buying it. I don't know why The Salazar sold it, but I'm happy they did. And the hill where everything started with Gretzel and me was now mine.

I've constructed a two-story house over a three-hectare lot. Just not so big a house but not too small.

All the doors and windows are thick glasses except the front door, which I preferred, a modern wooden door and securely installed by a security alarm if someone wants to force barge in my house because I believe that Prevention is better than cure. Uh-huh.

The house was designed and built with the color motif of black/brown for the foundations and fences, while white was painted the entire house. There were six rooms. One primary bedroom is my room, three guest rooms on the second-floor while, one room for my cooking room, and one room for my music/relaxation/gaming room on the first floor. It has a vast dining area and a living room. All sleeping rooms have corresponding comfort rooms, while there is also one common CR at the end of the hallway on the first floor. There is also a pool outside where you can oversee the city.

No one knows about this house except Hilda and me. The money of Dad has also been a significant contribution to why I have all these things on me now. Thanks to his billions of money. But he didn't know about this and not even Sylvia. And I'm determined to keep this secret from them as long as I can.

Back to my cooking, I made one of the desserts my dear Inay taught me with a twist. This dessert was Gretzel's favorite among all the desserts I made for her before. I joyfully made everything, erasing the word impossible in my mind. Impossible for Gretzel to come back to me. Impossible of Inay's physical presence because, you know, she's gone. Impossible to relive the past.

I know that. So, that's why cooking was my scapegoat. I don't care about anything when I'm cooking. I'm free. I'm happy.

I was so engrossed in what I was doing and didn't realize that it was late when I heard my phone loudly ringing and decided to take a break and get something from my room. I lazily took it from my bedside table and eyed the caller first before I answered it. It was Sylvia.

"Yes, baby? What's wrong?" I ask and lay on my bed with my feet still on the carpeted floor.

"What's wrong? Maria, I've been calling like a hundred times, and you're not picking it up. I'm so worried about Dad as well, and it's evening, and you're supposed to be here now because we'll have dinner at Yuan's, and you're asking me what's wrong? Where are you? Come on!" I giggled at her babbling.

I can imagine her worried face and furrowed eyebrows right now. She's acting like the bigger sister again. Sometimes I think I was the youngest between the two of us. She's so mature for her age. And I love her for that.

"Hello? Will you just laugh there? We'll meet you at Yuan's, okay? Bye," she said when I didn't answer.

"Wait. How will I get there? I don't know the address of the resto," I said. The place was new to me. Of course, I just came back here three days ago.

"Finally, you're talking," she said with a heavy sigh. Uh-oh, my big sister is pissed off. "That's why I'm calling you sissy. You know, never mind. Use your GPS instead. Okay? We'll see you there. I have to go because Dad's calling me. Bye. I love you," she said, dropping the line.

"I love you too, big sister," I said while smiling, but she couldn't hear me now.

I dropped my phone on my bed and lazily prepared myself for our family dinner date.

I quickly found the resto through GPS. It's just twenty minutes drive from my place, but knowing the traffic problem in the Philippines, I went off early but not my lucky day because I've been stuck in the traffic one hundred meters from Yuan's. Grr. Traffic sucks.

Mother Sylvia will scold me again, I thought to myself.

When the jam subsided on my side of the road, I parked my car professionally outside the resto, and then I hurriedly went inside. I asked the receptionist about Dad's reservation, but it took her a long time because she just stood there staring at me with lustful eyes, checking me out visibly. I cleared my throat, and she averted her eyes to the logbooks while her cheeks were red as a tomato. I could have flirted, but I'm more concerned about Sylvia's ranting because I'm ten minutes late. While waiting for her to answer, I roam my eyes all over the place.

I found Yuan a charming and cozy place. The interiors are so far good for my taste. Then just a minute later, the receptionist answered my question and asked one of the waiters to assist me in going to the area.

The waiter led me to where Dad was, but I saw the waiter's eyes gazing at my butt when he thought I was not looking at him. Why are these people doing this to me? I just wore a simple blue fitted dress and a pair of blue heels. It's so hard to be Aphrodite's spawn. I smiled in my thoughts.

I could see Sylvia from our table, but she didn't notice me because she was too busy on her phone. I saw two more people in the back, and my heart started to pound when I recognized that familiar silk brown long hair.