[7] Taking Chances

[Outfit Above]

Now two weeks later on Wednesday morning I stood in front of the fountain in the courtyard waiting for Harry to meet me so we could get on the train to go to Hogsmead

Now two weeks later on Wednesday morning I stood in front of the fountain in the courtyard waiting for Harry to meet me so we could get on the train to go to Hogsmead. I saw him drop his hand to the side in exasperation and watched as the hopeful smile fell from his lips as he watched McGonnagal walk away.

Harry walked towards me and smiled sadly "I can't go since the dursleys didn't sign it and I have no other family" I smiled softly in response "Then I will stay here" Harry instantly went to object but I shook my head. "I've been there before with my dad. I won't be missing out I promise. Besides" I linked my arm through his "I would rather spend time with you"

Harry smiled which made me as well at the sight of his quickly changing happy behavior, we wandered around the castle for a while until we found yourself standing on the bridge walkway between the castle and over the mountain break.

I stood beside Harry my head resting on his shoulder and his warm hand on top of mine that sat on the ledge. We stayed like that for a few minutes enjoying the quiet of each other's company until my father walked over and stood on the other side of me a section down.

"Professor, can I ask you something?" Harry asked breaking the peaceful silence "You want to know why I stopped you facing that boggart, yes? I thought it'd be obvious. I assumed it would take the shape of Lord Voldemort." My father answered calmly and Harry nodded slightly.

"I did think of Voldemort at first. But then I remembered that night on the train... and the dementor." Dad shifted and leaned against the pillar "I'm very impressed. That suggests what you fear the most is fear itself. This is very wise."

I smiled softly at his praise over Harry who frowned slightly "Before I fainted... I-we- heard something." Harry gestured towards me with his other hand. "A woman screaming. And I heard other voices" I told my dad who looked at the two of us sadly "Dementors force us to relive our very worst memories. Our pain becomes their power."

Harry looked back out to the hills from over my shoulder. "I think it was my mother... the night she was murdered." I heard my dad click his tongue "The very first time I saw you, Harry, I recognized you immediately. Not by your scar, by your eyes."

He told him softly and looked down at Harry "They're your mother, Lily's. Yes. Oh, yes. I knew her." Harry looked down at me but I shrugged not knowing he knew Lily from before she was with James. Dad walked over to the other side of the bridge and looked out as he continued to explain his past "Your mother was there for me at a time when no one else was. Not only was she a singularly gifted witch... she was also an uncommonly kind woman."

Harry smiled at the thought of his mother "Sage...Ophelia's mother...her and Lily were a lot alike" I rested my head back against Harry's shoulder and his hand moved from its place on top of mine to wrap his arm around me hugging me closer to him as we listened. "They both had a way of seeing the beauty in others... even, and most especially, when that person could not see it in themselves. And your father, James, on the other hand... he..." Dad chuckled softly at his own memories "He had a certain, shall we say, talent for trouble."