40: Liam

khadijah1058 as promised 😁
Words can't express how happy I am today, this book has over 100k reads 😭oh Ya Allah. I just want to say a very big thank you to everyone who has been reading, voting and commenting. You guys are the best, may Allah reward you abundantly.

Lets dive in❤️

***

"Its Ava, she's dead"

Hidayas eyes grew wider than ever, she thought of Ava as a very nice girl who from all indications was good at her job and lived well with people. She wasn't her number one fan but she was sad to hear about her death.

"Ava was like family to us, we've known her right from middle school. I never thought she would go this way" he shut his eyes feeling a little too emotional. When his sister called to tell him Ava had missed work for two days he knew something was wrong almost immediately, she was never one to take off without an explanation and so he asked her to file a missing persons report which Safina thought was too extreme. He convinced her to do just that and she was found eight hours later at her late parents house almost lifeless due to a drug overdose.

Ava was rushed to the emergency room where she battled for her life for a few hours and was pronounced dead late in the evening.

"I'm sorry for your loss" Hidaya said rubbing her husband's back hoping it would be enough comfort, she didn't really know how to react to the news but she understood how dear Khalil held the deceased to his heart.

"Well we're all gonna die someday" he drew in a sharp breath "come on, lets get out of here"

***

Abu-Bakr tugged his sunglasses higher on the bridge of his nose as he watched his coworkers coffin being lowered into the grave. The ceremony had mostly people from work and a few of the deceased's neighbors as Ava's only family was her grandmother. After the burial he offered to drive Avas grandmother back home who graciously agreed and thanked him for the kind gesture. The old woman had with her a boy whose face looked awfully familiar.

"I'm so sorry for your loss Mrs. Miller, Ava was such a sweet and kind person"

She smiled "Oh I am more worried about this lad" she turned to look at the boy in the backseat who was busy on his gameboy both ears plugged with his earpiece "No child should have to bury their mother, but then Ava lived without her own parents"

Abu-Bakr scoffed "I didn't know Ava had a son"

Mrs. Miller coughed " oh she had a son alright and she took care of Liam all alone"

"And his dad?" Abu-Bakr asked taking a turn into their street

"Ava kept his father unknown to us" Mrs. Miller sighed "and now we'll never know. Thank you for the ride son, you have a blessed day ahead" with that the old lady took her great grandson with her to the front door, Liam turned to look at Abu-Bakr who was staring back at him. He looked familiar, awfully too familiar.

Abu-Bakr drove back home with Liams face etched to the back of his eyes, he couldn't wait to talk to his wife about his gut feeling. Why would Ava never have mentioned having a child? How did they all miss her pregnancy? And most importantly, why was keeping his fathers identity unknown so important that she took it to her grave? These questions bothered him and so when he got home he didn't waste a second before blurting them right out.

"Ava had a son? No, you must be joking" Safina raised a quizzical brow at her husband who was just as confused as she was. " but we were very close to Ava and not once did her son come up in any conversation. Something isn't right Abu, something is definitely not right. I will call Khalil and see if he knows anything about the boy, she was closest to him"