36. First Step

Beam switched off the television and walked to the kitchen. He started rummaging through the fridge and shelves when the cook appeared near him.

                "Do you need any help sir Beam?", the middle aged woman asked Beam.

                "Ahhh...nothing..just call me Beam please..it's too weird with that sir.", Beam said smiling.

                The cook, P'Song nodded and returned the smile, "If you are hungry, I can cook something for you".

                "Actually I am bored here. So I thought that may be I can cook something", Beam said scratching his head.

              P'Song raised her eyebrows in surprise, "Do you know to cook?", she asked politely.

                Beam nodded smiling widely, "I have been helping my mom in kitchen ever since I started walking, so..", Beam shrugged proudly.

              "Okay, I can help you then. What do you want to cook sir?", P'Song asked.

              "What do we have here?", Beam asked opening the fridge door again.

               One and half hour later, Beam and P'Song placed all the dishes one by one on the dining table. Beam had lost track of time as soon as he started cooking. He felt happy after a long time by cooking since he lost his mother. He checked all the dishes on the table when P'Song placed the last bowl on the table.

             "The one who will marry you will be a very lucky girl, I must say", P'Song said with a smile.

             Beam chuckled softly, "Remember to say this to that person when I bring home someone".

            "Do I get extra allowance for that?", P'Song asked teasingly and Beam burst out laughing.

             "Yeah..I will make sure you get some. Just, keep this a secret between us", Beam said amidst his laughter.

             He turned to look at the clock when he noticed his father standing at the entrance of the dining area leaning on the wall. There was a faint smile on his father's face as he stood there watching the interaction between himself and the cook. Beam shifted uncomfortably as he dint expect his father that early at home.

           "Dinner is ready sir Vongviphan", P'Song bowed a little.

              Weir nodded, "I will be back in ten minutes", he turned and walked towards his room to freshen up.

              Beam took a deep breath after his father left the room. It had been four days since he came here but he hadn't had a two minute worth talk with his father. As usual his father was very busy with his work and most of the time Beam was left alone at home. The only time they met each other was during dinner since he always left early before Beam woke up in the morning and he had lunch in his office. Even during dinner they dint talk much. Beam even considered leaving the mansion and coming back during the wedding but he had promised Kit that he would try to talk with his father. So he stayed back waiting for a good chance.

            Beam looked at his father carefully as he twirled the spoon on the plate and ate a spoonful of rice. His father raised his eyebrows in surprise as he chewed the food slowly.

            Weir turned and looked at the cook, "This..this..", he struggled to ask the obvious.

           "Master Beam cooked everything sir", P'Song bowed again slightly.