Why me- Lonashipping

Gladion couldn't believe it. He wouldn't have believed it if Moon hadn't given it to him herself. Even as he stared down at the prettily decorated, neatly written love letter in his hands.

She was so nervous when she handed it to him, but he observed that well before she even brought it up.

Flashback

Moon and Gladion were hanging out at the beach, enjoying the beautiful Alolan weather. After a while of just talking and a fun training battle, they walked along the shore line. Moon's Primarina was out splashing in the waves and Umbreon strolling along side its trainer.

It was at the beginning of this walk that something about Moon seemed different. She wasn't as perky and talkative as she usually was, which got Gladion's attention.

"Is something wrong, Moon?" Gladion finally asked.

"Oh...um...what makes you say that?" Moon clasped her hand behind her back.

"You're acting different." Gladion replied.

Moon let out a breath and stopped walking. As did Gladion. He watched her shudder a bit as she dug through her shoulder bag. Finally, she fished out a folded up piece of paper. She squeezed her eyes shut as she held it out for him.

"This is for you." Moon squeaked. Gladion took it from her shaking hands and turned it over a few times before he began to unfold it. "Please don't open it yet!"

She grabbed his hands to stop him, but quickly pulled them away. "I'd...prefer if you waited...and let me know what you think...later. Like, read it after you get home. Really take your time though. I don't want to rush you."

"Alright. I can wait." Gladion put the letter into his fanny-pack. They just kind of stared at each other after that for while. That is, until Gladion broke the silence. "What did you want to do now?"

"I don't know." Moon shrugged.

She had eased back into her usual self but was still a bit nervous. The two only stayed out a bit longer before they parted ways. They both returned home.

End of flashback

Which is where Gladion was now, sitting on his bed with the letter in hand. He couldn't put it down. He just kept rereading it, some part of him expecting it to change.

Dear Gladion,

Before I get really deep into this, I want you to know that you are one of my best friends. You are so important to me and I don't want to lose you from my life, regardless of what you think of this. Now, with that in mind, it's time to tell you the truth. I love you Gladion. I really love you. Since getting to know you, the real you, I've fallen in love. I know you have been through a lot and might not trust this but I promise you, it's true. Please let me know what you think when you're ready.

Love,

Moon

Even though this was the one hundredth time he had read it, one question plagued his mind.

"Why me?" Gladion whispered under his breath.

That's the one thing that didn't make sense to him. Moon was an absolutely amazing and beautiful girl. No doubt she could have anyone she wanted. So, why would she want him?

After rereading it a few more times and some deep thought, he pulled himself together and went for it.

Gladion messaged Moon and asked to meet up tomorrow. Thankfully, she agreed, which left Gladion time to think. It's exactly what he needed. Of course, he already knew of his feelings towards Moon, but he needed to think of what to say to her. That's how he spent his time until he met up with Moon.

The time had finally come. Moon was already at the beach waiting for him. She smiled as she watched the waves crash against the sand.

"Moon." Gladion announced as he approached.

"Oh! Hey Gladion." Moon turned to him. A nervous smile plastered against her face as she looked at him. "So...did you read it? What did you think?"

"I read it." Gladion stated. "But I have one question." Moon nodded, ready to answer whatever questions he had. "Why me?"

Moon blinked a few times in confusion.

"What?" Moon asked.

"Out of everyone you know, why would you choose me?" Gladion clarified. "I mean look at yourself, Moon. You are one of the best people here in Alola. You're kind, smart, optimistic, even in the craziest situations. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met and are so gorgeous. The most gorgeous girl I have ever seen, in fact. So, why would you want someone like me? Someone who doesn't even deserve you."

Moon was taken aback. She knew that Gladion did consider her a close friend, but she had no idea he thought this highly of her. Her bright smile grew as a light blush dusted her pale face. She was touched, but now it was her turn to tell him what she thought.

"That might be true but that's doesn't change at all what I feel." Moon chirped happily. "I do love you Gladion. I love you for the kindness you have towards all Pokémon, especially if they don't return it. I love you for your strength to pull through all that you have been through and that you were able to put your past behind you. And most of all, I love you for the side that you show only to me. The sweet, lovable heart you have tried to bury but it always shines through. That's why I chose you and why I will continue to love you. Plus, I'm not afraid to admit, I do find you very handsome."

Now it was Gladion's turn to be surprised. Here she was, the champion of Alola, and she truly loved him. It was more than anything he ever needed and he wasn't going to go another minute without letting her know it.

Gladion smiled and pulled her into his arms.

"Gladion?" Moon asked.

"I love you so much." Gladion confessed. "Don't ever doubt that, ok?"

"Ok." Moon smiled as she hugged him back.

For a while, everything felt perfect. At least, until they pulled back to look into each other's eyes. It was then that they leaned in and shared their first kiss. It was such a wonderful experience and they never wanted it to stop. Unfortunately, their lungs disagreed. So they went back to just holding each other and it was the next best thing, to stay in each other's arms.

THE END!!!