Chapter 34

Coulson POV

(Just after everyone apart from him and May left)

I sit with a sobbing Daisy curled into my chest, clutching at my shirt as if I'm her only grasp on reality. Slowly, I stroke her back trying to provide any comfort to her to ease the pain she is feeling. May is perched beside me on the edge of the bed holding Daisy's other hand singing a lullaby in mandarin. She will never admit that she sings and  the only other time I've heard her sing was after Daisy had a bad mission and we ended up in a situation very similar to this. Last time it soothed her but now it's not working as well. Daisy is hysterical and keeps whispering to herself,

"My name is Daisy and I'm not brainwashed. My name is Daisy and I'm not brainwashed.My name is Daisy and I'm n..not brainwashed. Coulson?"

Her quiet cry for me snaps my eyes instantly towards hers and I see the tears cascading from her eyes as she whimpers. 

"Am I brainwashed, am I a monster?"

Sorrow fills my eyes at this question. Anger fills May's eyes and she storms out of the room. However, I don't try to stop her as my priority is on Daisy.

"No Daisy, no you're not. You are Quake - the girl we picked up out of a rusty van, who turned out to be not only one of the greatest hackers, gamers, spy and inhuman, but also one of the kindest people I have ever met."

"Thank you."

Simmons POV

Fitz and I sprint back down the corridor towards Daisy's room, fear showing in both of our eyes. May and Mack are chasing after us and I don't know whether it's to see if Coulson's alright or to kill us - hopefully not the latter. We skid to a halt outside of Daisy's room and Fitz instantly opens the door and a distinct drip can be heard...

Drip....Drip....Drip

Frantically, we switch the light switch on and there on the bed is Coulson...without Daisy... His arm hangs over the side and then we located the source of the dripping as blood dribbles off his arm to a puddle below. Fitz and I scramble across the room to locate the bleeding and then we find it. 

A knife.

Protruding from his chest, which slowly and hesitantly rises and falls - much to our relief. He's out cold but I don't think that that's due to blood loss as a purple patch is forming along his temple. 

"He's alive."

We tell a very concerned May and Mack who lean over us as we try and apply pressure without moving the knife.

"We need to find Daisy." Is all May says as she heads out the room with Mack wearing an almost unreadable mask - almost. This has hurt her so badly. She loves Coulson and Daisy - they're a little family. (No matter how much they deny it.)

Fitz has gathered his heart rate - which is alarmingly slow, but this is a slight benefit as it slows the blood flow from the knife wound - which still has a knife in it...

"Wait Fitz, if she was meant to kill him then why is the knife still in Coulson..."

Fitz and I meet each others eyes and realise what this means - we interrupted her so...

She's still in this room.