Chapter 2

Director: A response, from the Director of Project Freelancer. Dear Chairman. While I am obligated to assist your investigation, I ask that you not waste my time with irrelevant questions. My agency is normally unconcerned with such minute directives as troop reassignment. Except of course, in the most critical of matters.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Wash, Slade, and Kan have arrived in Blood Gulch, standing in front Blue Base.

Washington: Hello? Hello? Anybody here?

Slade: Theta, any life-signs?

Theta: One. It's a girl.

Wash turns on his radio.

Washington: Recovery One calling Command. Come in Command.

Command: Go ahead Recovery One, we have you.

Washington: We're at Outpost 1-A. Looks deserted.

Command: Roger that. See if you can find any evidence that would suggest where they all might have-

An angry, yellow-armored soldier appears in the base.

Sister: Hey! A-holes! What's with all the noise? People are trying to sleep here!

Washington: Um... scratch that Command. It appears I've found someone. Recovery One out.

Sister descends the ramp slowly as if hungover.

Sister: Ohhh man.

Slade: I told you to lay off the hard stuff, Sister. I swear, how does your brother bloody deal with you.

Sister: Oh, screw you!

Washington: Hi. I'm Agent Washington. This is Blue Base, correct?

Sister: It was.

Washington: Was?

Sister: Everybody's gone. Transferred. Something about this base being obsolete now, or, whatever.

Washington: Right. Where did they go?

Sister: I don't know! All different places. Nobody told me anything.

Washington: Well, I'm trying to locate some people who have experience with the Freelancer program.

Sister: Freelancer? Is that the band we had here last night?

Washington: You had a party here?

Slade: She's nineteen, Wash. She doesn't know anything army related.

Sister: Hyeah! I throw raves every night. Charge five bucks a head. Last night, I made ten bucks. Ooah ooah! Nice.

Washington: You use the base for raves? That doesn't seem like the proper use for official resources.

Sister: What're you, like a cop or something?

Washington: No.

Sister: 'Cause if you are, and I ask you, then you have to tell me. That's totally a law or something.

Washington: I'm not the police. And that's not a real law.

Sister: Well if you're not a cop, then how do you know it's not a real law? Busted!

Washington: You caught me. Hey, is there anybody else... smart... here that I can talk to?

Sister: Hyeah, right. Like I'm gonna tell you. I don't rat people out. Cop.