Group Lunch

Shinobu's POV
Today would be my first full day of work. I got ready for the day and dropped Kanao off at school beforehand.

Kanao and I aren't related at all, but my biological sister, Kanae, and I technically bought her from an abusive old man many years ago.

After dropping Kanao off at school I made my way to work. As soon as I arrived I was greeted by all but one of my coworkers who gave me a different challenge I was determined to succeed in. So, immediately I decided to greet him myself.

"Good morning Tomioka-San!" I greeted them with a warm smile. He just nodded his head not sparing me a glance. A tick mark appeared on my face. Does he always ignore people? "My my, do you always distance yourself like this?" I asked.

"I'm not...I'm just busy doing work."

"Is that all you do?" I asked.

"Unfortunately Yes," Kanae answered for him.

I don't know why, but I feel the urge to continue to bother him. So, I did that until lunch. Suddenly the boss of the whole company comes in and everyone including Tomioka stands up and bows. If I remember right his name was Ubuyashiki Kagaya, but many people called him Oyakata-sama or if they were really comfortable enough called him by his first name.

"Hello, my children. How are you today?"

"Good sir." Everyone says.

"Today I wanted all of you to have lunch together to get to know each other, so I had my wife prepare a meal for you all. Also, tomorrow you will have a new case and I pray for your safety, The team leader for this one will be Tomioka Giyu. Alright?"

"Yes!", "Thank you, sir!", and "We understand." Rang out from everyone around me.

Oyakata-sama kindly smiled at everyone seeing their happy faces toward him. Soon he turned to me. "Also Shinobu-san how are you liking work so far?" He asked.

"It's great sir." I smiled. "Everyone is so kind!"

"I'm glad." He smiled one last time before he turned on his heel to leave.

Everyone immediately sat back down and continued to work. But, I was stuck on one thought. Interesting...Tomioka-san as the unit leader...I wonder how that will go. After another few hours passed his Oyakata-samas wife, Amane, came in and dropped off the food. Everyone thanked her before she left and gathered together to eat. However, Giyu was still at his desk typing away on his computer. Looks like Nee-San wasn't kidding.

I lean over to Mitsuri. "Does he seriously ever stop working?" I asked starting a conversation.

"Nope...I wish he did! I would love to talk more outside of work! I'm actually amazed by you." Mitsuri admitted.

"Why is that?" I asked confused.

"You're the first person to ever talk to him or bother him all day at work. Normally, no one has the nerve to approach him while he's working because we never know if he'll snap... but he's a good person and I think he's really nice, but he doesn't interact with us enough to know. However, he does gets things done quickly so he's reliable." She said.

"Really? Is that why he always seems to distance himself?"

"Pretty much. Although he's gotten upset once, he's never raised his voice once. It's always the same tone but darker but the same volume level as normal."

"That's a surprise....so he's a workaholic, a good person, distant, a loner, patient, and calm?"

"Pretty much a summary of him....although I've never seen the guy sleep before. Not even at sleepovers."