CHAPTER 1

Allison's POV

Five minutes before twelve midnight. Five minutes before August 30, 2031. 

The date of my exact birthday. As I entered the entrance of our house, the half-moon was evident along with the stars scattered in the dark sky. 

I stared above before I opened the door. It seemed like an art. Art that was made from the heart. The darkness and the ample light coming from the moon and stars signified a hope. Hope that I should continue the life that I've started. 

I took a deep sigh and grinned. Stop that drama, Allison. 

I glanced at my wristwatch. It's exactly twelve midnight. As I opened the door and clicked the button of the lights, an unexpected moment happened. 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALLISON!" Both Mommy Shane and Daddy Jack greeted me with joy.

Bittersweet smile formed on my face. Mom was holding a mini chocolate cake in front of her. It had a written text telling a 'Happy 23rd Birthday, Allison'

"Thanks," I simply said as I kissed the both of them on the cheeks. It seemed that they waited for me until I got home. 

"It's already late. We can still celebrate tomorrow. I mean later in the morning."

"Are you not happy?" Mom sadly asked. That's also my question about myself, Mom. I said in my mind. 

"I'm glad, Mom. I appreciate your efforts for me but for now, I'm just really tired." 

"Let her rest, Shane. We can continue the celebration in the morning," Dad assured.

I made a fake smile. 

"Thank you so much. I love you both. Good night." Then I walked to my bedroom. 

I opened the lights and closed the door tiredly. I put my handbag on my study table and let my body fell on the soft grayish bed of mine. 

One year has passed since she died. I could not still move on. I could still felt the loneliness. Working without her was like a gun without a bullet inside. 

My eyes produced a small drop of tears unexpectedly. I wiped it and glanced at the picture frame placed on the top of the small cabinet beside my bed. 

It was a picture of us. We were wearing the same denim jacket, skinny jeans and combat shoes while holding our own gun. This was the time that we had passed the training in Vigilante Association. 

"The hell, Ashley! You're haunting me for a year now. What should I do?"

I stared at her in the picture. Her deep smile reminded me to fight. Her eyes were telling me to move on.

"Fine! After this night, I will start a new life without you."

I closed my eyes and let my body rest for the night.

*****

I woke up through the light ray of the sunlight reflecting on the window. I slightly opened my eyes and checked my phone beside the pillow.

It's eight o'clock in the morning. I sat on the bed and yawned and after a few minutes of spacing out, I stepped down to the bed. 

I stood straight, chin up, and did the basic stretching exercise. After that, I did multiple squats in five minutes, two minutes push-ups, and one minute planking. It was our morning routine in Vigilante Association to maintain our strengths and healthy body.

I went downstairs after I took a bath. Mom and Dad were waiting for me in the dining area. They woke up early because it was also their day off in work.