Drowning

WARNING: HOMOPHOBIA, DEATH, DETAILS, MAY BE TRIGGERING, AND HOMOPHOBIC SLANGS

It feels as if your lunges implode. The water fills your lungs till they are completely filled, or they pop. As you drown, you feel helpless. The more you panic, the worse your chances will get. It is hard to stay calm as your lungs fill with water and you try to keep your head over water. Usually, nobody just gives up. On a rare occasion, people just stop trying. They let their body get filled with water as they sink deeper. Usually, the last thing they see is their own hand, reaching towards the surface of the water. These are the accidental drownings. People drowning other people is a different thing. This story is about a boy who helplessly fell in love.

Rich was a quiet kid, he kept to himself. He had average grades. He never found himself fitting in with boys. Rather, he liked to talk to girls, they were less scary to him. He started middle school today, his mom fixing his hair a bit as she kissed his cheek. Rich hugged her and walked out to wait for the school bus at the bus stop. He saw a few other kids show up, some he has seen before, others he hasn't, who were taller than him. Rich saw the bus pull up, everyone pushing past him. His bully's words in his head, 'You doormat' He walked in.

The bus driver was a woman with wrinkles. Rich watched her talk after she asked for his name. He didn't know what was holding her together, she looked like if the wind blew too hard, she'd turn to dust. "You're in seat 13, Rich" He nodded and saw a boy already in the seat. Rich had hoped he would be sitting alone. He sat down, he felt the gaze of the other boy. He cursed himself mentally, his nails were painted. He hid his hands as he looked at his lap. Rich heard the other boy ruffle, He assumed he was sitting straight. He flinched for a second as he heard the voice of the boy speak randomly, "Are you a queer?"

Rich's eyes widened, he's been called that before. He gulped and shook his head no. He saw other kids snicker at him, he assumed it was the boy's friends. "He's wearing nail polish" He felt everyone looking at him. "I'm not.." He said. He heard the boy speak again, "Only girls wear nail polish, are you a girl?" He sounded mocking. Rich looked at the name tags on the seat, 'Jeremy' that lady was bad at writing. Rich looked away. "No," He said gently. The so-called Jeremy snickered. "Then you're a fucking fairy! Wanna touch me gay ass?" He cackled. Rich only went quiet, the taunting continuing till they got to school. He lost the boys in the sea of students. He went to his locker and put his things in it.

He read his schedule, he had gym first period? Just his luck. He walked down to the gym and the teacher told him to get changed into his gym clothes. Rich walked into the boy's locker room. He went to his locker and unlocked it with the key. He looked at a tall boy with brown hair. He looked away and got changed. The boy walked over, Rich thought he was walking over to talk to him, so he started to blush harshly. The boy turned and went to the locker beside his. Oh. Rich watched him for a moment. The boy looked at him, "Yea?" He asked, his voice smooth, but raspy at the same time. Rich started to think of a lie quickly. "Oh, I thought you were someone I knew, sorry"

Rich walked out after that awkward encounter. He sat down where everyone else was sitting. The class went by slowly. His attention was on the brunette jock. He was tall, and he over listened in on conversations he had. He was funny too. Rich learned slowly that the boy's name was Jake. The rest of the school day went by in a blur of teachers telling about themselves and the rules of each of their classrooms. Rich walked out to the buses, suddenly remembering the guys. He ignored it and went on the bus, sitting down. Jeremy was already sitting there, he snickered at Rich.

The freckled boy silently sat. Jeremy hummed, "I saw you checking out my pal Jake in gym" Rich's head shot up. "I wasn't,," He said. "Sounds like you were checking me out, are you sure you aren't a fairy?" He didn't know why he was getting defensive over one thing this boy said but he was fine with all the other comments. Jeremy looked pissed, one of his friends laughed, making him yell at them. Rich hid a smile, which made Jeremy more pissed.

A few weeks later, things with Jeremy hadn't settled down, it only got more heated. Jeremy would harass him every day about being gay and how he is a girl. On a good note, Rich started to talk to Jake in the gym. Well, he started Jake talking to him. It just so happened they liked the same band that Rich wore on his shirt that day. He and Jake seemed to have a spark of friendship, they just, clicked. Rich was in the gym, Jake just left to go to his class. Rich hummed softly and he saw a note in his locker.

Rich grabbed the folded piece of paper gently. It had a heart on it. Rich dropped his gym bag softly and unfolding the piece of paper. He read it with happy eyes. 'Rich, Hey,, I know you might not be gay. But i feel something between us, don't you? If you do, meet me by the river by the big rock we fish at" Rich hid the letter and a smile. He couldn't be happier. The rest of the day, Rich was watching the clocks in each class. Finally, the final bell rang. Rich got on the bus, and Jeremy wasn't on. It was a really lucky day.

Rich went home, fixing his hair and shirt. He told his mom he was going to the park. He lied because he didn't want his mom to see him being gay with a boy. He walked down some of the rocks that led down to the big one, he saw the river but not Jake. He looked around then let out a sigh. It was interrupted by him being slammed to the ground and held by the collar. Jeremy? "W-what-" He was put under the water by his neck. He tried to scratch at his face, but he couldn't see through the water stinging his eyes.

Jeremy pulled him out of the water. Rich saw boys circling around, cheering Jeremy on. "Drown him!" One boy cheered then another said, "Drown the fag!" Rich dizzily looked around. He saw Jake, standing there, watching him with soft eyes, "You guys said you'd just scare him!" That was all Rich heard before being put under the water again. He struggled more, trying to get himself let go. He held his breath, trying to keep the water out.

Rich wasn't there long before his eyesight went black, but he still felt himself jerking around. He couldn't fight anymore. He turned blue in the hands of Jeremy. Everyone ran off nut Jake and Jeremy. Jake stayed and held Rich's hand, "I'm sorry.." Jake and Jeremy pushed Rich's body into the river. They both left quickly after watching him go with the strong current. 

[comment here what ideas you want to see or just things like more fluff]