Chapter 32

Maryland

Pepper sighed, wishing things didn't turn out as they did. She missed the old Tony, the one who tried his best to become a good person and not the one who had sex with Steve when he was still in a relationship with her. She missed having girl talks with Natasha, getting their nails done while talking about their boys. And most importantly, she missed her son in all but blood, Peter. Peter who was always energetic and loved fiddling with stuff with Tony. She knew who he was (of course she does, she's Pepper), emphasis on the was. She hadn't seen or heard news about Spider-Man in while, two years at least.

When she initially got a house in Maryland, it was supposed to be a vacation home for when she needed to get away from everything. But now she uses it as a home, possibly permanently.

Sighing, she stood up and grabbed her purse from the counter. Checking that her phone and wallet was in her blue purse, she walked out the door, locking it. She got in and turned on her car. Putting the radio at a low volume, she pulled out of her two story house. Pepper was going to the mall to relax.

About an hour later, she finally arrived at the Christiana Mall. Getting out of the car and walking in the front door, the smell of the restaurants wafted towards her as the doors slid open. She breathed in before making her way through the crowds to Barnes & Nobles. Picking her way through the bookshelves, she stopped at Starbucks in the shop to get an iced caramel coffee. After getting her coffee Pepper walked to the crime section. A white book stood out to her, picking up the book she read the title The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. (A/N btw, this book is really good.) Reading the summary, she was immediately interested in it. Turning with the book in hand, she immediately ran into someone. Backing away, she started to apologize before she caught sight of who it was.

"Bucky?"

"Oh, hey Pepper." He said oh-so casually. Taking time to look at him, she could see that he's got a new look. A look that looks like punk, which didn't look too bad on him.

Blushing with frustration, she dragged him over to the counter with her to pay for the book before leaving the store. Still having a grip on his jacket, she forcefully made him sit down on a bench a couple of stores down from Barnes & Nobles.

"James Buchanan Barnes, where the hell have you been?!" Pepper quietly yelled at him.

"Here and there." Bucky answered, avoiding the topic. Pepper put her hand on her hips and gave him a look. He put his hands up placatingly, leaning away slightly. "Ok, ok! I got back with HYDRA." The long-haired man admitted to the furious woman.

"Yeah, I didn't ask that, now did I?" She said, sitting down next to him.

Bucky waited a moment before asking in return, "Is that rhetorical question?"

"Yes, and you still haven't answered my question!" She fumed, metaphoric smoke coming out of her ears.

"Thought you would've been more freaked out about that honestly." He muttered curiously.

Pepper just sighed in exasperation.

A/N Hey, hey, hey! I finally got Bucky introduced! I'm kinda happy I got the story moving forward. I might have Pepper/Bucky ship if y'all want it. Tell me if you guys want to see more of Bauer and Denger's (the HYDRA people) relationship progress. Have a lovely day and stay safe!