Chapter 3: Kids with Green eyes

One month after the Outbreak

The day was no more.

In the head physician's office, a large mattress was laid. The room had a desk with a butterfly glass case on, close to a gun. The mattress was covered by a cotton drape. Under it rested Michael. Whereas, David stood up in front of a planked window, naked. The latter's eyes were pinned toward the outside. It was a forest made of bricks and concrete set on fire. He watched it, like a kid who burnt ants under his magnifying glass.

"Hey," Michael said, as he hugged David from behind. "I missed spending time with you."

David rubbed his left hand on his lover's right arm, while he still contemplated at the scenery.

"Sometimes, don't you think that it would be better if it would just be the two of us?" asked Michael.

David observed the pavement. On it was an ablaze body. The ligaments of the carcass seared into a glittery red.

"Michael, we can't leave behind so many people," David said.

Michael caressed David's chest, while his gaze wandered.

"If it was somebody else who said this, would you have accepted?"  asked Michael.

David stared at the flames that consumed the flesh of the body outside. 

"Michael, this isn't about you," he said.

"I know," Michael said as his eyelashes lowered. "It's never about me."

David shifted his attention toward him. "I promise that I'll never leave you."

David's left hand stroked Michael's right cheek as the young man smiled. Michael had the most innocent smile. David wished he could frame it.

In the children's ward, Peter put a blanket on a little girl with the same brown eyes as he

In the children's ward, Peter put a blanket on a little girl with the same brown eyes as he. Next to him, a woman with a sepia skin tone watched the scene with a warm smile. The wallpaper soothed with old blue, sparkled by the radiance of a desk lamp. When the child closed her eyes, the woman stood up and put a fairy tale book in a drawer. A sigh left her mouth as she leaned against the piece of furniture. Peter walked toward her, coiled his right arm around her shoulders and kissed her on the forehead.