Chapter 50: Cut in Half

Five months after the Outbreak

Les Chateaux was a series of flats. It was the most known for a scam with the cleaning company Nicole Ménage. Besides that, it was just a fake layer of luxury on an inside filled with roaches. Michael and Ariel lived in a flat on the third floor. While Ariel's side was decent, Michael's was in a bad condition with the pumpkin orange wallpaper peeling off and faulty lights. Between the two, there was a living room with an open kitchen and a couch to watch an old tv monitor.

Caroline pulled the drawers under the television and picked up some pencils

"I can get a whiteboard, Ariel has one," suggested Michael.

"Sure," Caroline replied. "You need help carrying it?"

"No no, don't worry," Michael answered in a haste.

As Michael entered inside Ariel's room, Caroline inspected the drawers further. When she grabbed a knob, she let go of one of the pencils by accident. She knelt to pick it up, but a small hairy mass rushed against it. The pencil twirled around while the figure had dashed under the couch.

"Jush!" exclaimed Michael, who had just pushed the whiteboard halfway out of the room.

"Who?" wondered Caroline.

"Mr. Jush!" Michael gestured at the couch. "He's my pet mouse."

Caroline rose an eyebrow. "Shouldn't it be in a cafe?"

The young man shook his head. "He was already here when Ariel and I arrived." He walked toward the couch and laid prone. "So I just gave him some vaccines when I could and let him roam free."

"Charming," muttered Caroline.

Michael whistled a bit and tapped the floor with delicateness. Soon after, a rather fat light brown mouse squeezed out of the couch and scampered on Michael's open hand. The young man stood up cautiously as he used his index to rub his pet.

"I thought you ran away," Michael crooned.

The door of Michael's room opened as Jack arrived with a smirk on his face.

"Guess what I found?" Jack asked with a baseball bat in his right hand.

"Ooh, I forgot I kept one in my closet," Michael said with wide eyes.

Jack swung lightly in the air. "You wanted to try baseball?"

"Not really." Michael shrugged. "Just to play with you."

The boyfriends smiled at each other when Caroline snapped her fingers.

"Sorry to be a killjoy, but we hafta plan how we gonna stop David," she said.

"Oh, you're right," Jack agreed before he brought two chairs for Michael and him.

Caroline drew with a black marker a huge square on the board.