Chapter 19: Jesus is the only Savior

Two months after the Outbreak

In front of the hospital, a herd of people had gathered around one particular man, David. He had his hands tied up behind his back. There were cables coiled around his wrists. Four chatoyant scars adorned his right cheek. Two guards were on each side and two meters away from him. They pointed their guns toward him. The sun was veiled by clouds and smoke. Some people had blankets on to heat up against the cold.

"Look at his face," said a man

"He got scratched," one woman saidunder her breath.

When footfalls echoed from the hall, everyone looked at the entryway. The head of the medical team appeared, Isaac Judd. He held a syringe and a vial in his hand. They all had a disquiet expression on their faces. All but David who had a smirk on. The doctor slid the vial in the left pocket of his lab coat. Then, he pricked David with the tip and pulled the plunger. The needle entered David's neck in a smooth movement. David did not flinch and kept his rictus on. It appeared as if he enjoyed this. His blood filled the barrel of the syringe. Isaac grabbed the vial with his right hand. The bottle was half-full with a translucent liquid. With no haste, the doctor pushed the blood of the syringe inside the vial.

"What if it turns pink as rose wine?" thought a medic.

Isaac shook the bottle to mix the fluids together. Everyone waited to see the results. Their foreheads dripped sweat while their clenched fists jittered. Their eyes opened wide as the vial shifted in color.

It was red.

Nobody moved. One minute had passed. Then five. Then fifteen.

It was still red.

"He's not infected," said Isaac.

Shudders took over the crowd.

"I knew it! God wouldn't give up on David," shouted a man.

Claps and cheers burst from the flock as they welcomed their shepherd back.

Deep down within the sewers, a group of survivors had sheltered themselves inside a bunker

Deep down within the sewers, a group of survivors had sheltered themselves inside a bunker. A young woman with unkempt hair was at the center of their sights, her name was Ariel.