Episode 40: Birds of a Suture

Four months after the Outbreak

Everyone observed the bunker with their mouths agape. Glass cracked when Peter walked around the table at the center of the room. In contrast to the pencils, vials, and flasks trashed around, there were documents and pictures glued on the back wall. Jack's eyes stopped on one of the photographs. He let go of his baseball bat and ran toward it. With a shaky hand, he grabbed a picture with a middle-aged man on it. The latter had hair and facial features similar to Jack's.

"It's..." Jack paused. "That's my dad."

Michael avoided Peter, who inspected the wall too, and stepped toward Jack.

"You're right, it's him." Michael grabbed Jack by the hand. "Look!" He pointed above them.

Jack tiptoed and took a letter. "It's too dangerous, I can't continue." Jack read. "Smith Collins..." Jack furrowed his brows. "What was too dangerous?"

Michael gestured down at a page torn off a book. "Is that your father's writing?"

"Yeah..." Jack nodded and knelt. "It's about some new kind of coral." His eyes widened. "Coral-153."

"Your father worked on the zombie coral?" Michael asked.

Peter snatched a picture off the wall. "We can't be sure, David could have forged those documents."

Jack crossed his arms. "Now that I think about it, it just adds up."

"Like, why your father rarely talked about work and why you two had to leave Little Brook?" wondered Michael.

"Exactly..." Jack glanced away. "I just... I don't know... Why?"

Peter rested his back against the wall. "Your father was a brilliant marine biologist, David needed this." He sighed. "I'm sorry Jack, but we can't waste time staying here, David stole things from the bunker and we gotta find them."

Ariel exhaled. "He's right."

"Just give Jack a moment please," Michael begged.

While Michael caressed Jack's right shoulder. The latter watched the files on the wall.

"What's that?" Jack gripped at another document, which a check. "Peter, it has your name on it."

Peter walked toward them. "Jack, I can explain-"

"Solomon Erasmus..." Jack glared at Peter. "David signed a check over to you, on the 26th of December."

Peter's voice trembled, "Jack, please listen."

"Why would David pay you on the day after my father got killed?" Jack raised his tone.

"I had no choice, he was threatening my daughter." Peter lowered his gaze.

Jack clenched his fists. "You... You're the one who killed my dad?"

"I'm sor-"

The young man punched him before he could finish. Caroline rushed to Peter, while Michael pulled Jack away.