Chapter 18: Brother and Sister

Sixteen years before the Outbreak

Greywell was a small village next to Oldwood. Amidst the cottages, one was spied on by nosy neighbors. In its garden, a girl with brown hair brushed a deer statue. When a man came to her, her frown grew. 

"Is Mom okay?" she asked

He smiled a bit. "Yes, she is." He knelt and grabbed her left hand, which covered her red wristband.

"Dad, are you sad?" the girl pouted.

"It's complicated..." He sighed. "You remember that we told you're gonna have a little brother?"

She nodded.

"Well... The doctor told us that your little brother had to help you," he said.

The girl lolled her head. "So that's why I'm not sick anymore?"

"Exactly." He beamed. "Ariel, please, don't be sad. But, your little brother is in heaven now."

Ariel closed her eyes. "Is it why Mom was crying?"

"Yes." He paused. "But also, she can't have kids anymore... Don't worry though. We're gonna find you a new little brother."

"How?" she asked.

"Don't worry, the world is full of kids without parents," he replied. 

Two months after the Outbreak

Inside the sewers of Little Brook, Peter shone his lighter around to assure that no creature swam in it. Meanwhile, Jack and Michael talked to Ariel. The attack in the sewers has made her hair loose, which revealed orange and pink strands.

"You were infected all this time?!" shouted Michael. "But why don't you have, I don't know... Tentacles, fins, or I don't know, talking tiddies?"

Ariel gave a quizzical look at Michael for the last suggestion.

"I..." Ariel sighed. "I can hide my infected form," she said.

"Really? It's... Just like David," Michael.