Chapter 17: Down the Rabbit Hole

Two months after the Outbreak

The sewers were cranny and humid. A grayish stream flowed between two roads of cement. Their only sources of light were Peter's lighter and Ariel's phone. Summer's humming echoed between the narrow circular wall around them. It was as if you were in a dark swamp made of stone. A viscous stone womb, whose only quality was that its noxious smell was not as bad as the ones of putrefaction in the streets.

"What are you doing here?" shouted Michael. "Do you realize how dangerous the place is?!"

Tears were about to drop from Michael's eyes as he said this. The young man crossed his arms and leaned against the wall as he took a deep breath. Whereas, Jack lowered his eyes.

"We needed to stay, Michael. To find a cure to the virus," said Ariel.

"A cure? What makes you think there's even one?" asked Michael.

"I know there's a cure. Every disease has one," she replied.

A faint smile crossed Michael's lips. "I wouldn't be so sure if I were you."

Michael observed all of them and sighed.

"Where are Daisy and Allen?" he asked.

Peter dug his left inside his pocket. "They're outside and safe, we helped them to cross the bridge," he said.

"Good." Michael paused and looked at Caroline. "They're okay at least."

Ariel lolled her head to the side to spot the hooded figure behind Michael.

"Who's that with you, Michael?" she asked with furrowed brows.

"Summer," the female stranger said with a crystalline voice. "I know you." She pointed her gloved finger at Ariel.

"You do?" Ariel asked.

"Yes, and you." She pointed at Peter. "And you." She pointed at Caroline. "And you." She did the same with Michael.

"You know all of us?" asked Caroline.

"Yes, you're all from the land of Oz." She laughed and flapped her arms around. "You're looking for the yellow brick road, right?"

"The yellow what?" asked Caroline.

"Follow me then," Summer said.

"Is she a crackhead?" wondered Jack.

She gestured with grace behind her and pranced in the same direction.

"She seems to be onto something," said Michael.

"She seems to be onto something else too," said Caroline.

As the group walked in Summer's steps, Michael groaned and put a hand on his right side. Blood dripped from the gap between his fingers.