Chapter 9: Kiss in the rain

One month after the Outbreak

Raindrops tapped on the roof of the hospital. Michael's room needed to be groomed. Toys were scattered on the ground, while cobwebs hung from the ceiling. In the middle of the room, the young man and his lover were on a mattress. David had the artificial scent of forest and carcinogens. Both of their bodies were possessed by a cold aura, which strangely heated as they mingled together. A magnetic tension between two negative beings.

David grunted as Michael pricked his skin with a syringe in the shoulder blade. Black veins circled around the focal point like a web. As Michael pulled on the plunger, the barrel filled with a petrol-tint liquid.

'Enough to hide a special infected for one day,' deduced Michael.

The young man exhaled as he stood up and stuffed the syringe in his backpack. Then, he sprawled on the mattress, which made David glanced at him.

"I wanna play a game." Michael grinned.

David brushed his eyes. "Why? It's the middle of the night."

"Come on, it's gonna be fun," said the young man as he shook David.

"Fine," David said with a roll of the eyes.

"So, the rules are simple. All you'll have to do is answer three questions, " Michael said as he showed three digits with his left hand.

David tilted his head to the side. "And what's in it for me?"

"If you answer, I'll have to answer too."

"Fair enough. Ask away." David sat up.

"First question, what's your name?" Michael asked.

"Really?" he chuckled. "David de Plancy."

Michael squinted. His look grappled at David like fangs. His gray eyes as bright as diamonds. It snatched information and pulled them back inside. Once he was done, Michael grinned.

"Okay. My name is Michael Flores... Next question. If I cheated on you, what would you do?"

David widened his eyes. He wondered if he had heard this. Then he snickered.

"Well. Lemme think about this." He daydreamt. "I... I would put both of my hands round your neck." David leaned closer toward Michael. "Then I would grasp tighter. And tighter. Until you cannot breathe anymore."

Michael's smile diminished. His toes trembled. Under the moonlight, David's skin had the sheen of lead.

"So, my sweet, silly Mikie." David brushed Michael's hair. "How would you kill me?"

Michael gulped. "I-I..." his voice faded. "I would put poison on my lips. Then, I'd kiss you."

"A death kiss? Cute," David smirked as he put lips against Michael's.