Chapter 59: Second Chance

Five months after the Outbreak

The ground of the hospital trembled as dust and residues fell from the ceiling.

WAPeurgh!

"What was that?!" asked a startled Caroline.

She, Jack, and Michael headed toward a shattered window. Smokes went up in the distance from the market. Further to the left, a metallic arrow with iron wings fell from the sky. It landed in front of the library and disappeared into a flash of light. A boom similar to a thunderstrike banged before smoke came out again.

"The army's bombing the town..." Michael's eyes widened.

Caroline ground her teeth. "The tornado must have destroyed a part of the army's defense. They're makin' sure to contain the zombies"

"What about the survivors?" wondered Jack.

"So far, only the streets got touched," replied Caroline.

"You guys have to go!" shouted Michael

Jack shook his head. "I'm not leaving you behind! There must be a cure left arou-"

"There's no cure left," Michael replied in a softer tone.

Jack stared at Michael in silence. Then, he clenched his left fist and punched the concrete wall next to him. The blonde boy stopped and put his head against the wall. Caroline crossed her arms and glanced away.

"No..." Jack shut down his eyes. "With-without you, none of us would be alive." He gulped. "It can't end like that..."

Michael caressed Jack's back. "Hey, it's okay..." The dove-skinned boy simpered. "I was never meant for the normal world anyway."

"I'm staying with you," Jack said as he turned around.

"What?" Michael tilted his head to the left. "You can't- You're gonna die!"

Jack furrowed his brows. "I'd rather die than letting you die alone."

Michael slapped him.

"I'd rather die alone than letting you die here!" Michael cried. "You and Caroline, you're leaving that city alive, end of the story!"

"What about you?" asked Jack.

"I'll be fine." Michael wiped his tears. "All that matters to me is that you're okay."

Boom!

Stairs to their right blew up and crumbled. Lunatics and zombies growled and ran away while the hospital started to tremor.

"I thought they only bombed the streets!" yelled Michael.

Caroline gestured outside. "The storm's still here, it's fucking with the army!"

Jack pointed to an emergency exit sign. "The whole place's about to go down! Let's go now!"

Michael gave one last look at David's body as it sunk within Eden's remains. He inhaled and darted through a narrow hallway with Jack and Caroline. The hospital roared and quaked. Ceiling greenish lights shook before ripping from their cables and falling.