Chapter 56: Breadcrumbs Trail

Five months after the Outbreak

Men and women fought and ran in the hallways. Gunshots and snarls interacted between madmen and ghouls. Michael slithered and glided between them thanks to Lily's invisibility. This hospital was like a second house to him, he knew each of its parcels. A sign with Children's ward appeared, he turned to the left. Then, he hopped over a zombie wrestling with an armed guy. He panted but did not stop, he was soon there.

"Shit!" cussed Michael.

The entrance to the roof garden had floorboards and metal plates screwed on it. Michael knelt and took a deep breath. His skin tickled and tingled. The young man watched his hands whose images flitted and colors slinked. From a glass panel, his reflection materialized.

"What's happening?" thought the boy.

"Out of juice already?" asked a familiar baritone.

Michael turned around, David was right behind him.

"I knew my flower boy would go to his garden," David smirked. "You might have been surprised me earlier. Taking other infected's powers? Not bad." He chuckled. "But your snakes head won't grow back."

The dove-skinned boy furrowed his brows. "Your point?"

"Whatever which power you take, it'll run out," David answered. "But me..." Spikes came out of his arms. "I can do it all day."

Michael put down his backpack as two snakes grew out of him. They coiled around a linear pendant light as Michael sprung. He swung his legs forward and flipped to the ceiling. The snakes bit off the cords and hurled the lamp at David. The LED broke against the man's knuckles thorns crossed into a shield. Michael dropped behind David and clawed him in the back.

A growl came out the latter. He rose his left feet and a spike burst out of his heel.

"Aargh!" grunted Michael as David slashed his chest.

The raven-haired boy stepped back, but David grabbed one of his serpents. With the other hand, he thrust stabbed a spike right through his left snake. Michael yelped as David fondled his thorn through his infected limb. With a wide smile, the man bit at Michael's snake and munched a chunk off.

David swallowed and licked his lips. "Taste fruity."

Michael gulped a scream and kicked David in the stomach. The young man tripped on the floor as his wounded snake fissured and withered away.

"Go ahead my little bird, fly away," David taunted.

Michael seized a wall corner and forced himself to stand up. Then, he ran away while David's laugh echoed through the place.