Chapter 4: Angel weeps, Angel mourns

Fifteen years before the Outbreak

In a blue room with small furniture, a dark-haired boy doodled on a pile of papers that covered the table. A door opened, but the child was still focused on his drawings. A tall man, in a brown trench coat, stepped inside the room. He regarded a woman who nodded at him. After a slight gulp, he grabbed a chair to sit at the table to face the boy, whose eyes were frowned at the papers.

"Hey, cool drawing you got here," the man said.

As he lowered his eyes the doodles, the man lost his smile.

"I'm not here to replace your family, I just want to give you a second one," he said. The boy paused to draw for a quick moment. "Me and my wife, a kind woman, we have a daughter, her name is Ariel. She's a very nice girl, I'm sure that you two will be great friends."

The child stopped once more, for a greater moment, before he got back at his drawing. It was a little princess crying.

"What do you think, Michael?" he asked.

One month after the Outbreak

In front of the pharmacy, a group of people talked to each other with low voices. Inside, Marian was strapped to a stretcher, a woman checked on her.

Close to the left wall, Ariel talked to a man with a lab coat.

"She got scratched one hour ago, I believe. The veins were not directly harmed," Ariel said.

"I see." The man brushed his paprika hair. "Based on what happened before, she has around two hours left. Three if we cut the limb off. We can only make guesses though."

"We have a way to spot when her 'turning' will start", Ariel said. "Before they regress into a feral state, most infected display a paleness, dark veins, a dissociation with reality, and an intense feeling of cold."

"Plus, the disease is known to spread more easily within female patients," the doctor said.

"I disagree," Ariel said.