Chapter 16: The Mirror Crack'd

Two months after the Outbreak

Two black spikes protruded from David's knuckles. He had on the same smirk he always sported. Snakes undulated out of Michael's back. Eight. The smell of the corpse permeated.

"You're missing snakes, Mikie," David said.

"I lost some to the cop you sent to kill my friends," Michael replied.

David pivoted his right foot a bit.

"Let's see how many more you can lose," David said as he leaped at Michael.

David welted his spike at Michael. The young man darted to the right. Michael's heartbeats were so fast. He could not think. He had to focus. Distance. Yes. Michael needed distance. He vaulted on top of the van. He observed what was in front of him. David had just pulled his spike out the floorboard. Michael skittered one of his snakes at David's left leg. The man swung at it, but the serpent moved away. His spike got stuck in the floorboard again.

Another snake came toward David's free arm. He aimed at it. David's growled. He felt four stings in the right part of his face. A snake had just bitten him in the eye. Michael smiled.

David smirked. "Gotcha."

A spike burst out of David's right elbow. Michael screamed. His snake hissed as it got impaled. It was as if one of his hands got stabbed in the palm. Michael overbalanced off the van. He fell on a soft yet solid mass. He glanced down. He was on the dead woman. Her skull was nothing but a mush of flesh. The young man gasped and crawled away. His hands were covered in her blood.

"What's wrong, Mikie?" asked David with a honeyed voice.

His spike scraped against the hood of the van. Sparks flew on the impact. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

"Is it because she reminds you of your mom?"

Michael's breathing stopped. His stomach filled with heat. Burning tears poured from his eyes.

"Don't you dare to talk about my Mom," Michael said.

The young man sprung from behind the car and lunged at David. With one slap, Michael clawed at David's left cheek with his nails. David smirked. Just as he expected, Michael let his emotions take over.

But something was different.

David lifted one of his legs and kicked Michael away from him. His skin burnt. David looked at Michael's left hand. His nails were long, sharp, and wet. A translucent substance dripped from his fingers. It was corroding David's face.

"How did Michael do that?" David wondered. "Was he... mutating?"

David shot a glare at Michael. This frail feminine creature, it could not be stronger than him. David was stronger. He knew this.

A primal war scream came out the man's mouth. He rushed at Michael.

Distance, Michael needed distance. David was too close. The young man rolled to the left. The young man cringed. David had touched him. Michael put his hands on his right hip. His hip was bleeding. Michael had to walk back. He had to have distance. But his waist hurt too much. At each step, the wound on his side got bigger. Michael tripped on the floor.