Chapter 43: Where you don't want to go

Four months after the Outbreak

"Michael!" Jack shouted.

His boyfriend thrashed his arms around, but Isaac would not let go. Nightmarish ideas went through Jack's mind about what could happen; Michael's head bitten off, slammed into a pulp against the floor, crushed into the monster's palm. The blonde boy's hands shook on the rail. Around him, there were only books and he had lost his baseball bat. He was on a balcony just above them but could not help. Jack did not have some electricity magic or wings, he felt powerless.

Isaac's maw grew into a malicious grin as its long skinny fingers grabbed at two of Michael's snakes. The raven-haired boy groaned as Isaac pulled the heads of the reptiles. Isaac laughed like a child who picked off the limbs of an insect. Blood spurted from his back until the snakes got ripped off Michael.

"Aaah!" Michael screamed.

Jack could neither breathe nor blink. Why him? Why was he so weak? Just like with his father, he could do nothing for Michael. From the darkness, Ariel raced to Michael, but Isaac slapped her away with one of his tentacles. What it is? How Michael would die? Jack refused to accept this.

Snap.

On his left, Caroline had a lighter in her hand and a bottle in the other. A piece of fabric burnt within the latter. In one second, she threw the molotov cocktail at the side of Isaac's head. Glass shattered with a small explosion. The squid-like skeleton growled and rubbed the fire on his right cheek with his arm.

"I knew something was up with that Isaac the first time I saw him," Caroline said as she dug inside her backpack.

The floor cracked open between Caroline and Jack. A tentacle had just struck up their balcony, which propelled Caroline against the ceiling before she fell on another part of the upper floor, out cold. Jack stared at the fire and seized books. No matter how little it was, he had to at least try to free Michael. The blonde athlete flung novels and magazines to fuel the flames. Isaac's struggle against the blaze motivated Jack to throw even more and faster.

While he did so, Bob had mounted on top of a shelf. With the wing he had left, Bob had glided on Isaac's arm.

"I'm not scared of you!" shouted Bob as he sank the claws of his feet inside in Isaac's. He scratched at it until blue veins were ripped out.

The tentacular titan snarled and released Michael. It glared at Bob and spit black slime at him. Akin to a bird in an oil spill, Bob wrestled to leave but was soon overpowered.

Ariel and Caroline were knocked out, Michael had been tortured to the point of losing consciousness, and now Bob was trapped. Only Jack was left to fight against the hideous creature Isaac had become.

"Hey!" shouted Peter.

On the ground floor, Isaac turned toward the man. Between the two stairways, Peter glared at the giant monster.