Chapter 39: Ghost of the Library

Fourth months after the Outbreak

Dickinson Public Library was the memory of the town. Just like the past, it had been repressed away into the darkness. Arachnids and carpet moths were its more loyal visitors. The process had sprinkled the sills with dead insects who had tried to reach the light. The lamps inside were turned off with only windows for illumination, which gave the library the appearance of a closed box with a few holes. The decomposition of paper permeated a smell closed to forest mushrooms, while the death of the air conditioner let a tropical heat inside.

The library was composed of two levels, the ground floor was mostly for students and children. Consequently, posters and cardboard figures of fairy tale characters were scattered around, such as The Mirror Princess. It would not be a surprise to turn around the corner and come face to face with an empty-eyed mouse. Meanwhile, the second floor was a square mezzanine reserved for adults. Mature reads such as horror and erotic were stuffed up here. Two sets of stairs led to the entrance of the library to the second floor. Another common point was the maze created by the shelves

Ghouls haunted the area with their dry wails that echoed on the walls. Humidity and friction had aged their clothes into sick pastels such as mint. Hives on their pale skin gave them a pink complexion. Because of spasms, they convulsed a bit as they made their stiff walks. Drools dripped from their blood-soaked mouth.

On the superior floor, by the gothic horror section, a loud thud resonated. A female zombie limped toward the source. Her nose had been torn off while purple bruises blemished her bony cheeks. She wheezed a bit and scanned the dimly-lit path between two shelves. Books had fallen on the floorboards. The woman snarled at the lack of prey but got interrupted when an unseen force coiled around her mouth. She could not breathe as she got lifted in the air. The invisible entity compressed on her head until her skull exploded. Akin to a puppet, the woman got put down with caution.

The entity whizzed to the right, which produced a sound close to a phantom. Near a window, a man chewed on his own arm. With a creak, the sash unlocked and opened. The wind hissed and blew dead bugs inside. Knocks banged on the glass panel, which made the zombie looking up. His emaciated legs staggered toward the window. He got pulled out by the shirt. The man growled as he fell and splattered on the ground below. The railing of the right stairway trembled up and down.

On a table, a green desk lamp had its cord yanked until it smashed on the floor. From the animal life section, a ghoul crawled on all fours toward the commotion. He sniffed around for any scent. The shards of the wrecked lamps clattered together before they started to float. Similar to glass butterflies, they glided toward the zombie's face. Its eyes blew into red puddles as the shards flew right into them. They were soon followed by the harp of the lamp as his forehead got impaled by it.

Attracted by the attack, another zombie came by. On the rectangular table in front of him, a tap began to repeat. Tap tap tap. Three yards separated the creature from the piece of furniture. As he limped toward it, his tongue dangled back and forth out of his dislocated jaw. Only two yards were left. Tap tap tap. A bestial growl pushed droplets of blood and saliva out of what was left of his mouth. One yard left. Tap tap tap. The zombie's steps got faster which his breathing.