Chapter 33: The Temptation of Michael

Twenty-eight days after the Outbreak

Eden's hospital used to be the hidden pearl of medicine. But now it was just the shadow of itself. All around, people garnered pieces of wood and metal into a circular pile. When a zombie lunged at one of the workers, a guard shot him down. Inside, people washed blood splatters with water and swatch of cloths. Others carried dead bodies toward the exit. In the cafeteria, there was a crater of black sand from the kitchen room. One of its ovens was blown open. A man inspected what was left of the utensils while a woman swept the ashes with a broom.

A tall man left the kitchen, a plate in his left hand with a steak on it. He sauntered toward a round table and sat in front of a young man with ebony hair. The latter had his eyes captivated at the bay window, toward the sky, where a white balloon floated away.

"That's a good idea, Michael," David said as fondled his meat with a fork.

Michael smiled a bit. "Thanks, I... I'm happy to be useful."

David gestured down with his knife. "Do you want a bit?" he asked.

The young man shook his head. "Oh, no sorry. I'm vegetarian."

"You're sure?" David rose an eyebrow. "I can tell you miss the taste of beef."

Michael huffed. "No, no, don't worry."

"Guess I'll just have to handle it on my own," David replied.

At the corner of the entryway, a man with brown eyes and shaggy blonde hair. His arms were crossed and his eyes glared at David. The latter smirked at him.

"Sorry, I need to go." David winked at Michael and left him with his steak.

David straightened his jacket and walked toward the other man.

"Is there something wrong, Adam?" he asked.

"The kid." Adam glanced at Michael. "Leave him alone."

David snickered. "Or what? Are you threatening me."

"I'm not." Adam sighed. "I don't know what you plan to do with him, but you're gonna hurt him."

"I would never hurt Michael." David furrowed his eyebrows.

Adam tilted his head to the left. "Oh, you said the same thing about our cat before it was found without its head in the attic."

David chuckled. "It's just an animal c'mon."

Adam put his right hand on his shoulder. "David, listen to me please."

"Here we go with the perfect son charade again." David rolled his eyes again. "You know I saw the same things in his eyes. The look that you and father gave me."

"I... I wished I would have stopped him," Adam said.

David slapped Adam's hand away. "You wish, you wish. We could build a tower with all the regrets in that world." David pored over Michael. "That boy... He was meant for me to have." He turned his head at Adam. "So, don't stand in my way, big brother."