Chapter 54: A Horse with Scales

Five months after the Outbreak

The Iliad: Fall of Troy.

With a nudge of the index, David stowed the book into the shelf. He watched through the window the strong-built and well-walled defense around the hospital. On his right, he grabbed a toddler chair and left it in front of his desk. Then, he paced around it and sat on a larger seat. He whistled and checked at his broken watch.

Bzz.

David slammed his hand to the left and chased a wasp. The bugs had infested the hospital ever since the first dead leaf of Autumn.

A sneer appeared on his face when the door opened.

"Let go of me!" yelled Michael to some fanatics who gripped at his backpack.

David groaned and tapped his finger on the desk. The mad people stared at him and released Michael.

"Put it down." David pointed at a corner of the room.

The young man glared at him and sighed a bit before he dropped his bag down there. He exhaled when he noticed the small chair at his feet.

"Really?" Michael asked.

The burly man rested the left side of his face on his palm. "What's wrong? You always liked being a kid."

Michael sat down and crossed his arms.

"See?" David chuckled. "Sulky and pretty."

The boy took a short breath. "I... I'm sorry if I upsetted you."

David adjusted his head. "It's okay, every couple has its ups and downs."

Michael tilted his head to the left. "You're not angry at me?"

"Not at all." David stood up. "Considering how immature you are, I expected this." He brushed his hand across the desk as he walked toward Michael. "I have no reason to hurt you back." He stood behind Michael and massaged his shoulders.

"What-"

"Shh..." David wrapped his hands around the boy's neck. "My brother gave me a parrot once." His strong grasp slowed Michael's breathing. "I was told that those birds repeated what you said, so I talked to it every day." David pressed his thumbs on Michael's Adam apple.

"Ugh, D-David you're-"

"Don't cut me in." David tightened his grasp. "You see, it refused to talk." He stopped to move. "One night, I asked one more time the thing to talk to me."

Michael shook on his chair while his forehead sweated.

"So I wrapped my hands around the parrot." David paused. "And choked it until it stopped to breathe." He burst into laughter and tapped Michael's back. "Ah! Childhood's memories."

Michael gulped and wiped his face. "I... I need your help, David."

"Anything for you, angel," he replied with a devilish smirk as he sat back.