Chapter 45: The Last Supper

Four months after the Outbreak

The two groups had walked together but separated by almost three feet of distance. Jack's group stayed at the back with Bob at the end. Whereas, Marriott's group was at the front. Dark gray clouds blotted out the sun. Ravens flew close to the roofs while others fought magpies for a pound of a corpse. The soldier flung his right arm to chase away a swarm of mosquitos. A pungent smell floated through the hot air, akin to bleach.

Bob shuffled toward Michael. "Thank you for allowing me to stay."

"You're not allowed to stay," Michael responded. "You're part of the team, they're the one allowed to stay with us." He gestured at Marriott's group.

A small smile crossed Bob's lips before he returned at the back.

"Stay close," Marriott barked to Simon who searched inside garbage cans.

"MI6 head, MI6 head, MI6..." mumbled Judy.

Michael shot daggers at them.

"And today on this episode of Michael hates people." Jack bent a pipe he held toward Michael.

The young man huffed. "To me, they're that kind of people."

"What kind?" wondered Jack.

"The kind that smiles at you, then pushes you down the stairs," answered Michael.

Jack slung his pipe over his shoulders. "So... Your kind?"

Michael clapped his hand to his chest as if he attempted to clutch at invisible pearls. "Ooh ok... You're lucky I'm not in the mood to fight."

His boyfriend snickered.

"What? I can be scary when I wanna." Michael pouted.

Jack wrapped his left arm around Michael as the latter nest his head against Jack.

Cough cough.

Michael turned his gaze to his left and noticed Ariel.

"Ariel, you're dying?!" shouted Michael.

"What? No, no!" Ariel showed him her palms. "I just need to talk to you."

Michael exhaled. "Oh ok, I got scared."

The young man hugged his boyfriend before he walked toward his sister.

"So, what do you wanna talk about?" Michael grinned at her.

"Well..." Ariel rubbed her hands without attention. "Are you sure about you and Jack?"

Michael rose an eyebrow. "You don't like that we're together?"

"No, no. It's just that I'm worried about where it could head," answered Ariel.

"You think I'm gonna ruin this again?" Michael asked with a boiled tone.