Chapter 31: For whom the Wedding bells toll

Three months after the Outbreak

Michael had been locked inside a room of the funhouse. Polka dots walls surrounded him. There was a carnival mirror on one of them which gave Michael a shrunk reflection. Only a step-stool was given to him. After a long sigh, the young man put a black tuxedo on a white shirt before he tied a bow around his neck.

"I look like a mortician," thought Michael.

The turn of a key pulled Michael out of his head. The door of his gilded cage opened as Ariel opened. She had on a light blue dress.

"Want to swap clothes?" asked Michael.

Ariel huffed. "I... I wanted to see how you were doing."

Michael fiddled his cufflinks. "I don't like this suit." His eyes turned pink. "I prefer gowns, they add more drama." He forced a laugh.

Ariel crossed her arms. "Just remember that it's not your fault. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do."

"Why me though?" Michael said in a low voice. "If I knew David was like that... I would have never..."

Ariel put her right hand on Michael's back. "You had no way of knowing his true nature. Stop blaming yourself."

Michael nodded and choked back his tears.

The young woman glanced behind her. "I have to go now, it's okay?"

"Yeah," Michael replied with his face down.

Ariel opened the door with a slow movement. She peeked one more time at Michael she left.

Michael observed his little self in the mirror. He wanted to burst in tears, to tear down the wallpaper, and smash the step-stool against the mirror. Instead, he did nothing but sit down and wait for faith to strike again.

The door waved open and Michael turned his head toward it. David was there in a white suit. A perfect smile was plastered on his face.

"Wow," he cooed. "You're the most beautiful creature I ever saw."

Michael rubbed the nail of his thumb against the rest of his fingers.

"It's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding," Michael said in a cold tone.

David chuckled and knelt at Michael's level. "But you're not a bride." He caressed Michael's face. "You're my groom, the prettiest groom in the whole world."

Michael glared at the man's fingers and wondered about how fast he could just bit them and munched them off.

"My mother would have loved you," David whispered.

"Your mother?" Michael lolled his head to the side. "You never talked about her before."

David took hold of the young man's hands. "She died when she gave birth to me." He rested his head on Michael's lap. "Sometimes I wished she was here to guide me."