Chapter 51: Starsick Lovers

Five months after the Outbreak

Caroline was sitting on the couch. In front of her, a rifle laid its grip on a square coffee table. One of the table uneven legs had a psychology book wedged under it. Caroline shoved a ramrod inside the barrel of the weapon before she pulled it out. After this, she put the objects down and dug inside the right pocket of her pants. She slid out a khaki wallet and opened it. Within it, there were photographs of Peter, Daisy, and her at a lake.

"Hey," a soft voice told her.

The woman jumped a bit and rushed her left hand on the rifle. She turned around and saw Michael, who had put his hands up.

"Sorry." She let go of the weapon. "You took me by surprise."

Michael lowered his arms. "I saw that."

Caroline sighed and looked over the flat. The night was lit up by candles with images of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Jesus, and other saints.

"It's a good thing our flat had horrible lights." Michael gazed at a candle of Saint Sebastian. "So, Ariel and I got packed with candles."

"I love fire," Caroline said. "I've spent so many nights around the flames of a camp."

"Isn't it scary to be alone?" Michael asked.

Caroline huffed. "Better than being surrounded by strangers in an office."

"I hate those places too," Michael added. "Too many cold people."

"Exactly." Caroline nodded. "I'd rather be alone and happy than stay at a place where I don't wanna be."

Michael fiddled his fingers. "Wh-what if you're happy with someone but have to..." He paused. "But you have to follow him to a place that makes you unhappy?"

Caroline stared at Michael. "You're talking about Jack, right?"

The young man nodded. "I want to stay with him forever." He gulped. "But I'm scared... I'm so scared to come back into the normal world."

"You're talking like there's that zombie town and then the outside world," Caroline scoffed.

"I don't know much about the outside world. " Michael glanced away. "But I do know it hurt me a lot."

"Michael, the world is bigger than you think," Caroline softened her tone. "Stay with Jack and I'm sure you two can find a home somewhere."

The young man smiled a bit. "Do you need a pillow or somethin'?"

"No, don't worry, I'll be on the watch the whole night," she replied.

"You're sure?" asked Michael. "Jack and I can replace you if you want."

"You two need more bedtime than me." Caroline motioned her head at Jack.

Michael bobbed at her before he walked toward Jack. The blonde young man had a cushion wrapped in one arm while the other held a drape.