Chapter 26: Humpty Dumpty had a red nose

Two months after the Outbreak

When they used to date, Jack knew two faces of Michael. The most common one was his prim and proper persona, who cooked breakfast and reassured Jack. The perfect housewife. Then, after one or two glasses, Michael was more sultry and confident. Sometimes he did not even need to drink.

Ever since the outbreak, Jack found even more facets within Michael. Even though, all of them had a common point, a sort of strength that made Michael above. It was as if the raven-haired boy had the eyes of a dove who flew over a city in flames. But, it was different this time.

"They're dead, they're dead!" screamed Michael over and over.

Jack led Michael by the right hand. He had to run for the both of them. Behind them, a horde of zombies chased them. They snarled and growled as a mass of ravenous of beasts. In each corner of the hall of mirrors, Jack could see the abominations after them. His heart pounded against his chest. The tightness of his chest pushed him on the verge of asphyxia. However, Jack had a fire inside him. It was not about himself, it was about saving Michael. Jack could not fail him, not again.

After a marathon, a light appeared at the end of the maze. Jack beamed at this.

"C'mon, Michael, you can do this," Jack said.

Jack held strong on his friend's hand. Even if he had to, he would never let go of Michael.

After some yards, a rectangular halo shun in front of them. Jack tilted his free elbow and smacked the door open. Then, he turned around and caught a glimpse of the nightmares inside. Jack slammed the door and pushed the whole weight of his body against it.

"Michael." Jack gestured at a pipe on the ground. "Please, I need your help."

A weak spark lit in Michael's eyes and he grabbed the pipe with shaky hands. Jack seized the tube and lodged it under the pull handle.

Jack caressed Michael's back and frowned. "Hey, Mike, we need to go. I don't know if the pipe will hold up."

Michael nodded as he looked at the ground with hollow eyes. The two of them did a few steps before they hid inside a ring toss stand. Michael sat against the table and wrapped himself with his arms.

"Hey, c'mon Michael." Jack rubbed Michael's left cheek. "Oh look, that's a corgi." Jack showed Michael the plush of a corgi as he played with it.

Michael still had his head down. "They're all dead... I let Ariel..." Michael cried. "I want my sister back."

"I'm sure they're not." Jack wiped his tears off. "Before we got separated, I heard them saying that they have to go to the bunker."

Michael stared at Jack. "You're lying."

"That's the old Jack who lie," Jack replied.

Michael made a faint smile. "And what the new Jack do?"