Chapter 21: Eros and Thanatos

Two months after the Outbreak

Alexander the Great Street used to be frequented by the youth thanks to its coffee shop, gym, and vegan supermarket. Therefore, Michael nicknamed the area Rom-Com Street as most of its places could have been from any romantic movie. In the middle of the road, a manhole cover had been slid away. A mass of black hair came out of it. Its young owner scanned the area, which had been ravaged too. Shards of window shops, trails of blood, and dead bodies were scattered around. The sun started to set, which cast an eerie illumination on the massacre. The young man's eyes opened wide when they spotted the gym.

"Guys, it's safe, follow me," Michael whispered.

He climbed up the ladder and edged toward the place. After him, Jack, Ariel came out. Peter groaned as he swung his right arm on each rung. Whereas, Caroline used her left arm to hold him. It the end, Summer came out with a grin on her face. The group threaded toward the gym. The place bore a sign with Achilles Fitness edged on it, escorted by the logo of a Macedonian helmet. As they peeped inside, six zombies wandered around. One of them had his eyes gouged out.

"You two stay back." Peter pointed at Caroline and Jack. "We'll deal with them."

As the four special infected entered, the zombies charged at them. One from the left, three from the front, and two from the right. Bolts of lightning danced between Peter's fingers, fangs grew inside Ariel's mouth, wings burst from Michael's back, and two barbed wires came out of Summer's palms. One zombie staggered from the left, three from the front, and two from the right.

Peter grabbed by the infected's head at his left, which sent an electric shock through the latter. Even though his power was weaker, Peter could still face a single enemy. At the front, Ariel jumped and planted her fangs in the neck of one of the zombies. Meanwhile, Michael spreads his wings and waited for the creatures to be close enough. At the right, Summer smiled as she whizzed and propelled her whips. One of them landed in the throat of a zombie, but the other grabbed the whip between his teeth and pulled it. Thus, Summer got yanked to the ground, which allowed the infected to pin her.

When he heard the commotion, Michael glanced at Summer. However, it let two infected tackle him to the ground. The young man groaned and kicked one away. Then, he folded his free wing and slammed it against the other zombie, which bisected him. Whereas, Ariel seized the kicked zombie and tore part of his forehead with her fangs.

As Michael panted, his eyes darted above him. A net of beige mold has glued a zombie on the ceiling. His right knee, heart cavity, and left eye were opened into bloody craters. Each crater had a mouth full of sharp teeth.

"Fuck," Michael said.

The zombie grunted and convulsed. He tremored until he got detached from the ceiling. Hence, he fell right on top of Michael. Before he could bite Michael, the young man had closed his wings into a shield.