Chapter 49: Before the Dusk

Four months after the Outbreak

Caroline gasped for air as she stood in front of the closed wooden door. She glanced at the floorboards she had just nailed against the windows. When creaks echoed from the hallway, the woman clung at her rifle.

"Knock knock knock," a young man called as he pounded with softness on the other side of the door.

"Michael?" marveled Caroline.

She peeked through the peephole and saw the raven-haired boy. In a haste, she opened the entry and yanked Michael inside. With even more speed, she slammed the piece of wood back in place.

"Nobody followed you?" she asked as she put a chair against the knob.

Michael shook his head a bit. With half-shut eyes, he gazed at the couch. His lids widened when he noticed that nobody was on it.

"Where are-"

"Michael?" Jack's voice resonated.

The young man's body immobilized before he turned his head to the right. Sunshine shone through the barricaded windows on Jack. Warm tears poured down Michael's cheeks as his lips shook into a smile.

"Jack?" Michael asked.

"Y-"

Jack was interrupted by his boyfriend who lunged at him and tackled him against the floor. Michael's arms wrapped around him as he rubbed his face against Jack.

"Jack! Jack!" Michael cried. "T-teddy bear, honeypie, my 69 of love..."

"Wow, slow down on the nicknames." Jack snickered.

Michael nested himself within his boyfriend's embrace. "I... I thought you were gone."

Jack patted Michael's head. "I would never leave you."

"I love you so much..." Michael closed his eyes and hugged him tighter.

Jack beamed. "I love you too."

"So it worked?" Michael sat up on Jack's lap. "You and Ariel are okay?" He grinned.

The blonde-haired young man stared at Caroline, then he gazed at Ariel's room. Michael's grin faded and he stood up. Ariel's door was closed too. The boy dragged his feet toward his sister's room. With delicateness, he pushed the door. Ariel laid in her bed, her skin matched the white drapes that covered her to the neck, while her arms stuck out. A beam of canary light came from the window and enveloped the lady. A dragonfly on the window cast a cross-like shadow on her chest. The young woman's hair was let down.

Michael made slow steps to the left of her bed and knelt down. With caution, he grabbed at Ariel's right hand. A tiny breath left his sister's mouth as she opened her eyes ajar. Her irises were celeste blue while her pupils were pearl river gray.