Chapter 27: Ghoulish Delight

Two months after the Outbreak

Jack carried Michael as the latter groaned in pain. As they glanced behind them, they assisted at a strange spectacle. The rest of Michael's decapitated snake turned stiff before a myriad of cracks developed on its skin. Piece by piece, it shattered down like porcelain until it was only dust.

"That's weird," Jack said with furrowed brows. "What happened to you... My father showed me pictures like that before... I think it was about coral bleaching."

"Coral?" Michael lolled his head to the side. "Ariel talked about coral back in the sewers."

"You think the zombie virus was caused by coral?" asked Jack.

Michael pursed his lips. "I don't think so... Ariel said it was supposed to heal disease. So based on that, I think it's more like a case of symbiosis gone wrong."

"You say that as if it was better than a virus." Jack smirked.

"Because it is," Michael replied.

A red glove launched in front of the pair which startled them. Multicolored stuffed toys rained as a high-pitched laugh echoed. From the wrecked stand, a clown stretched its body on their way. The jester used its tentacles as tendrils to extend its limbs all over the way.

Jack pulled Michael by the arm. "Follow me."

Both of them ran while the clown galloped behind them. Its tentacular arms slammed on the stands on its sides at each step. The air was filled by its laugh who whizzed around. Soon, they arrived in front of the haunted house. To its left towered a sign modeled after a fountain of blood with Dark Episode etched on it. It was an old white farmhouse whose roof tiles were Prussian blue.

Michael rose his left eyebrow. "You want to hide inside the haunted house?!"

"We can't stay out in the open," Jack answered.

The clown laughed resonated as it dragged its long arms on the ground. The two young men rushed inside the farmhouse. Noises of bats, screams of agony, and clank of chains invaded their ears as they entered.

The entrance hall was designed after a front desk from an Old Hollywood hotel.

"Here." Jack pointed at a marble pillar.

The pair hid behind the column in the right corner. On the mahogany wall which faced them, there was a witch eye mirror. In its reflection, the two young men could see the front desk. From the main door, a small pointy shadow appeared on the jarrah floor. The shadow grew two twisted arms. It inflated bigger and bigger akin to a balloon of dark flesh. Soon, it became who was its owner. The clown.

The harlequin was in hysterics as he staggered inside. With its left hand, it pushed the desk bell. The sound made it laugh even more and he kept pressing it.