Chapter 10: The Snake and the Spider

One month after the Outbreak

In the children's ward of the hospital, Michael was talking with Peter's wife, Caroline. The woman had a weary expression on her face.

"Thanks, Michael, I've been so exhausted these last past weeks," Caroline said.

"You're welcome, Mrs. Shelley. I'll make sure Daisy stays in one piece," Michael replied with a grin.

Caroline knelt and pored over her daughter. "Mom will just take a quick break outside, don't worry honey," Caroline said to Daisy before she lifted her head toward Michael. "You better watch over my daughter", she said to him.

Michael giggled a bit for an answer. To which Caroline responded an Or else kind of look. As she left, Michael walked with Daisy in her room and closed the door. Caterpillars were drawn on the purple walls of her room. When he entered, Michael covered his nose with his left hand because of the faint musty smell.

"So, Daisy. Here's a reward for you." Michael gave her a stuffed dog. "Please, promise me that you'll watch over him."

Daisy hugged the plush and nodded. In return, Michael smiled with warmth. Michael hated children. But for some reason, she was decent to him.

"What's the reward for? I did nothing," said Daisy.

"Not yet," Michael said as he knelt. "I need you to keep a secret for me."

In the hall of the hospital, a herd of people had gathered

In the hall of the hospital, a herd of people had gathered. They contemplated David, their eyes followed each of his moves. The tall blonde man had a makeshift pedestal of boxes. The atmosphere of the safe-haven has gotten agitated. The analeptic perfume of drugs had been corrupted by the odor of cinder and sweat. The blazing news of the gruesome murder had heated up tensions within the haven. Moreover, as it was doomed to happen, the amount of food was small again.

"Everyone, I understand your concern and anger," David said. "However, do not worry. The one who defiled our sacred shelter has been found," David rose his hand and gestured to a man. "Bob Bennett, you're guilty of killing a man, who also happened to bear witness of you stealing some of our resources."