Chapter 42: League under the Sea

Four months after the Outbreak

The four crazies observed Michael, with caution they had surrounded him. The young man stood still and tried to contain his quick breath. The woman with the ax was behind and sang, "Baa, baa, black sheep. Have you any wool?"

Next to her, there was another man with gouged out eyes, which gave them the appearance of halved tomatoes. Biblical quotes were scared on his pallid cheeks such as The eyes of the blind will be opened. In front of Michael, the man by the trash bin licked his apple full of worms as some of them slithered on his dirty grey hair. On his left, the red-headed woman dragged her frail body forward and giggled.

"Baa, baa, black sheep. Got any meat?" sang the ax-woman again. "Forty whacks to your head and feet.

With a wide smile, she lunged at Michael with her ax. At the same time, the other woman did so too. Michael bent his left knee and rolled away.

Thwack.

Blood splashed all over the ax and red hair as it got lodged between the two woman's eyes. They rolled back into her skull while her lower jaw clapped against her teeth until life left her. The owner of the ax growled and kicked the body to push it away from her weapon. From the bushes, Ariel leaped at the ax-woman and bit the latter's throat. The skeletal woman let go of her ax and shrieked. Ariel ripped the flesh out of the madwoman's throat which revealed her trachea.

On the ground, Michael held himself up with his hands. To his left, the worm-eater rushed at him with a scalpel. The young man kicked him in the stomach, which pushed him away. His wings turned into snakes that flew at the man. They coiled around the latter's skinny arms and legs.

"Please, don't fight, we just want to help you," begged Michael.

The man thrashed around and snarled. "Sinner, sinner!" he shouted. With his unwashed mouth, he munched at one of Michael's snakes.

A scream escaped Michael's lips before he threw the man against the garbage bin. Michael's eyes burned yellow. One of his reptiles bit at the cannibal's cheeks and swung his head around. His groans were muffled as the snake pounded his head against the ground until he stopped to move.

"Son of a bitch," mumbled Michael.

Michael turned around and faced the blind madman. The young man's snakes hissed as his foe lunged at him.

Pock!

Jack hit the madman with his baseball bat.

He pointed at a rope inside the garbage. "Help me tie him up."

"Why?" asked Michael.

Jack held the man by the wrists. "You said that you didn't want to be a killer anymore. You've killed the others in self-defense, but this man's already down."

Ariel stomped the ax-woman's skull. "It doesn't matter, they've attacked Michael!"

"Listen, I won't force you to do anything if you want to kill him, go ahead Michael," Jack said.