Chapter 35: Corral Waves

Three months after the Outbreak

Michael observed the room in front of them. A musty odor of rotten meat floated out of the artificial lake. Grey tiles could be spotted at the bottom of the shallow waters. The unsafe pool seemed to be around five feet down. Bar steels and black circles were illuminated by the lights of the studio. Two shelves full of LP records lined a path.

"I found a lamp," said Caroline as she arrived with the small statue of a hula dancer with a lightbulb between her hands.

Broken pipes were revealed in the left corner, water dripped from them. Ripples echoed here and there on the surface. Tap tap tap.

"I-I-I should scout the area," Bob said.

"You sure?" asked Peter.

"Yes." Bob lowered his head. "I don't want anyone else to get hurt."

Caroline handed to Bob the lamp. "Take this, it'll help you see."

Bob opened his maw and grabbed it between his teeth. Then, he crouched and sprung. Thanks to the membrane which linked the arms to his waist, Bob glided to the shelf on the nearest right. With delicateness, he gripped his feet on the top wire deck, while his head hung upside down. The water still dripped. Tap tap tap.

Everyone starred at Bob as he made his curious dance between the shelves. Given the dimples on his forehead, the hunchbacked-man would furrow his brows if he still had them. With a light hop, Bob moved at the end of the room.

Michael's ears rang a bit. Ghar ghar ghar. Was it the droplets of the pipes? No, it was different, deeper, and raspier. Akin to a toad with a sliced mouth that slurred its croaks. Gharrr gharrrr. Half-drowned clinks resonated from the shelves, they got closer and closer to where Bob was. Michael tried to open his mouth but his world started to spun as his heart beat faster. The toxic smell of flowers invaded his nostrils.

"Michael?" Jack held the young man as the latter lost his balance.

With a tremoring hand, Michael pointed toward Bob.

"Did it," mumbled Bob through his busy teeth.

He showed with pride a package. The lamp in his maw swung loosely toward the water. Beneath him, a red buoyant liquid appeared, followed by small pale cylinders.

Severed fingers

"Bob!" shouted Peter. "Come back now!"

Foam and scum erupted against Bob's face, to which his lamp swirled up in the air. A large scaly mass came out of the water. Ghaaarrrr!

The lamp fell down and illuminated Bob's disappearance.

"That thing took him," said Caroline.

Michael took off his suit. "I'm going in."