Chapter 58: Beautiful Beasts

Five months after the Outbreak

Garden lawn. The perfume of freshly-cut grass from every suburban house filled the air. Dark emerald hues glowed in the sky. Michael's eyes were mesmerized by this sight.

"Yoo-hoo?" Jack called. "You okay, Mike?"

Michael blinked a few times. "Ooh, huh, yeah."

"Need help with Homelander?" Jack gestured at David. The latter had his hands tied behind his back and was gagged with a piece of cloth.

Michael shook his head. "Don't worry, I can handle him."

Muffled groans slipped out of David.

"Bet he's angry he can't be an ass right now." Jack snickered.

Zooosh...

"What's that?" wondered Jack.

Michael's eyes stared outside of the hospital. A sea of clouds above the earth formed.

"It's a twister..." mumbled Michael. "It's a twister!"

"Get down!" shouted Jack.

The blonde young man pushed Michael and David down on the floor. Some of the windows shattered in the hallway as debris got hurled through them. The wind roared as if waterfalls fell from the sky.

"The stairs are near!" Jack motioned his head to the right.

"That's a tree?!" Michael pointed up.

From the heavens, an almond tree smote down at Eden.

Strup!

The ceiling trembled and fissured while its lights flickered. Water poured between the cracks.

"The tree split the water tank in half!" screamed Michael.

Jack pulled Michael by the hand. "Let's go, now!"

BOOM!

Floorboards and tiles sprung up while sparks flew. A large hole had just exploded below them. Michael swung his arms around as he fell. Feathers and shards of glass floated. A fiery hellish pit was wide open underneath. The raven-haired boy gripped at cables hanging from the blown-up structure. Droplets touched his forehead. The ceiling cracked more and folded, it was about to break down.

"Michael, grab my hand!" yelled Jack.

The blonde young man extended his right arm at him. Michael took a quick breath and lifted his left hand. Snap. The cables cut off which made the boy scream and close his eyes. Instead of flames, the warmth of Jack's grasp wrapped around Michael's hand.

"Ng!" Jack grunted as he pulled.

When close enough, Michael grabbed the ground with his right hand and pushed. Jack clasped his hands on Michael's shirt to help. Crunch! Cold waters geysered from the holed ceiling. Jack tightened his teeth and tugged on his boyfriend's shirt. A flood Then, both young men dropped down and gasped for air.