Chapter 22: Escapees of Eden

Two months after the Outbreak

If a place contained dozens of people, intimacy and secrecy would be a hardship. It used to be the case for Eden's hospital. However, as the days went on, David's supremacy over the safe-haven grew. To its inhabitants, David had become the wall against the monsters outside. Thus, it was much easier for Isaac to do what he desired. With Michael away, Isaac was now the second in command. In the laboratory department, the doctor wore a surgical mask and protective goggles. With an eyedropper, he sucked some milliliters of a translucid liquid from a flask. Then, he dropped the substance into a petri dish. After he placed the dish under a microscope, he looked through it. A grin grew to both of his ears and he walked out. Once he was out of the room, he locked the door with a key.

He strode through hallways with his chin up. After a five minute distance, he arrived in front of the head physician's office.

Isaac stepped inside. "M. De Plancy I-"

"Isaac, what are you doing?" asked David, who was sat on his desk.

Isaac stood still. "Well, I'm-"

"You're inside my office, Isaac." David tapped his pen against a book. "I've made it clear before that no one but Michael's allowed to step inside."

"Hm, okay," Isaac said as he shuffled back under the doorway.

"So, what's the matter?" asked David as he went back to his writing.

"It's working. The serum's working," Isaac said with a breathy voice.

David stopped to write. 

"And?" he asked.

"It means that the serum will most probably turn its host into a special infected," replied Isaac.

A smirk crossed his lips as David stood up.

"Do you know what it means?" David asked while he gazed at the window.

"I... I don't know," Isaac replied.

David's eyes glimmered with a mad constellation. "It means that I'm one step closer in becoming God."