Chapter 34: Blood on Air

Three months after the Outbreak

Olivia Castle Street used to be the mouth of the town. The Daily Mirage printed its newspaper here while Eight Freak FM broadcasted its conspiracies theories between two pop songs. A grey SUV drove at a slow pace between the buildings. At its back, Jack dozed off while Michael rested his head on the former. All of a sudden, Bob landed his winged-body in front of the car.

"Jesus, I could have run him over," said Peter.

"Not at that speed," laughed Caroline.

Bob tottered toward the driver seat. With a feeble movement, he put a drawing tube out of his ripped jeans.

Peter rolled down his window. "What's that?" he asked.

"Before... In the bunker, Summer wrote some things and hid them inside this," replied Bob as he handed the tube with a shaky hand.

Peter nodded and grabbed the object. "Ariel, you're in the mood for some reading?"

"As long as it's not some cliche romance novel," the young woman said as she took it.

"Heeey, I love these stories," Michael mumbled in his sleep.

"By the way, Bob, you're doing okay?" inquired Peter.

"Y-yes..." Bob looked down. "I have to be on the watch, no time to waste."

Caroline pointed up. "Hey, are you seeing this?"

On the roof of The Daily Mirage, a balloon got stuck between the pipes of its sign. The sun shone on a white cylinder on its string, a note.

"That's a blue balloon," Jack said.

"It's not blue." Michael brushed his eyes. "It's cyan."

"Thanks, Mike, you just cured the zombie virus with this," replied Jack.

"It's not a virus; it's a symbiosis." Michael yawned and fell back on Jack.

"Anyway. How are we gonna get that cyan balloon?" Ariel emphasized on the color.

Michael woke up. "Easy." He inhaled. "Aaahahaha. Aaaahahaha!"

"The hell what's that?" asked Caroline.

"Well, I thought the animals of the forest would come to help us." Michael shrugged and fell asleep again.

"I think that the toxin of the flowers must have some side effects on Michael," said Ariel.

"No." Jack patted Michael's back. "He's just being his regular self."

"Got it," said Bob.

Everyone looked up. Bob was already on top of the ten-yard-building. His feet used their retractable claws to climb the brick wall. With his webbed fingers, Bob unknotted the note off. Then, he spread his swing and came down again, akin to a kite of flesh. Again, he handed the item to Peter.