22| The Dreadful Shift

I was awoken again by the deafening sound of my alarm. My eyes shoot open as I feel the sound thump fiercely in my eardrums.

A weird guttural groan escapes my lips as I reach out for my phone to check the time.

5:45 am

I lazily got out of bed and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

I can grab breakfast along the way.

After I finished taking a shower, I quickly freshened myself up and changed into casual clothes.

My chest felt a little lighter even if I technically got my heart broken yesterday.

I genuinely went back home searching up any illnesses caused by heartbreak.

And to my dismay there was. It sure was real.

Stress cardiomyopathy, takotsubo cardiomyopathy, apical ballooning syndrome

Or more commonly known as Broken Heart Syndrome.

I could have died from that but thankfully that talk with Holden lifted my spirits.
I packed my bag and head out of my apartment.

Thank god I got some good sleep. I swear my apartment was shaking because of the loud music of the nightclub downstairs.

When I was finally out of the apartment building, I felt the crisp heat of the LA weather and the wind blowing a few strands of hair reminding me of last night.

I smiled at the thought.

Holden was really sweet to listen to me. And I barely knew him.

I decided to walk to work again so that I can pass by different food places around.

After what felt a few minutes of walking and looking at different restaurants, at least, the ones open this early and I finally stop walking in front of a diner.

In the diner was none other than Holden chowing down on a stack of pancakes. He met my gaze and happily waved me to come over.

I happily obliged and went in the diner. As soon as I sat down in front of him, I ordered chicken and waffles and when the waitress left, he began to talk.

"Hi you look like you're feeling better," he said as he wiped syrup of his mouth with a tissue.

"I do, if you didn't so happen to be at the beach that night and talked to me," I said, "I was more than willing to buy a bottle of whiskey and drown in my sorrows."

"Hey now, everything in moderation and besides didn't you mention on the way back home that you had a 48 hour shift," he pointed out and at the same time my food arrived.

"Yup, I woke up early to look for a place to eat and I'm honestly glad I found you in the process," I said and he smiled and said, "Am I pleasing to be around?"

"Yup, a breath of fresh air really, especially since we're not practicing the same profession," I said and he smiled and said, "That's good to know."

He then looked at me with an expression clearly showing he had a question in mind. "I feel like you have something to ask.....," I said and he nodded and said, "I actually do."

I started eating my food and nodded for him to go ahead. He cleared his throat and asked, "So, what's your plan in case you bump into your infamous ex?"

"I really don't know," I said after swallowing the food I was chewing.

"Hmm, I don't meant to offend you but don't you think that he got interested in you too quickly?," he pointed out and I raised my brow and asked, "What do you mean?"