3.6

LIFE AT THE BAU WAS... different without JJ and their first case without the motherly blonde reflected that.

Unsure of how the day would pan out, Katharine got ready for the day in her own room while Spencer had retreated to his. Once they were both ready for the day, they left the Morgan-Reid household (as Garcia had so lovingly dubbed it), each with a cup of coffee in hand.

Their arrival at the BAU was different and it wasn't just because JJ was gone. Garcia had apparently arrived before them and the three couldn't take the elevator ride up together as they so often did. Katharine and Spencer rode the elevator together in silence, for the most part, only breaking the tension between them when they had both reached for the panel of buttons on the elevator.

Katharine made her way to her desk, setting her go-bag down there. She finished off her morning coffee and set her mug on her desk, picking up her notebook and sliding a pen behind her ear. She walked into the round table room with Spencer and settled into her usual seat, ignoring the fact that Derek and Emily had swapped seats for the day.

She barely even set her notebook down on the table when Hotch came in, the words falling out of his mouth even before he stepped foot into the room.

"We got a case in Akron, Ohio," he said, remote in hand. "Two couples killed in two weeks."

"One a week?" Emily asked. "That's not much of a cooling-off period."

He clicked the remote again. "Scott and Kathy Hartway. Found in their car in an isolated spot."

"The Son of Sam had a short cooling-off period," Spencer said. "He also attacked couples in cars."

Katharine flipped through the photos on the tablet that had been provided for her. A while back, the team had gone paperless and while everyone had been kitted out with new tech, Spencer had been able to retain the use of his paper files.

"Yeah, but the first couple were killed in their house," Hotch told them. Katharine grimaced at the photos of the crime scene. "Robert and Allison Keppler. In both cases, the husbands were killed with a silenced 9-millimeter, the wife was stabbed multiple times."

"He crosses racial lines," Katharine noted, swiping between the photos of the Hartways and the Kepplers.

"And socio-economic ones. The Kepplers lived in an upscale neighborhood, the Hartways were blue-collar."

Derek looked up from his tablet. "That's a big change in crime scenes, car versus house. Two radically different MOs"

"Not to mention he subdues two people," Rossi said. "That takes a lot of skill."

Katharine scrolled until she reached the ME's report. She read it over, taking note of the different wounds left on each of the victims.

"There's no indication of how he overwhelms them," Spencer said, voicing her thoughts exactly. "There's no antemortem bruising. He doesn't use a blitz attack."

"Well, he's got a 9-millimeter," Emily said, reading from the same report. "He doesn't need to."

"How about signs of forced entry to the car or the house?" Derek asked.

"No," Hotch shook his head. He clicked on the remote again. "But Akron PD Did find this."

Katharine observed the images on the screen. "Handcuffs," she said, minorly shocked. "So he restrains the men and saves the real savaging for the wife."

"Is this right?" Rossi asked, looking up from his tablet. "They found a used condom on both the husbands?"

Hotch nodded in confirmation. "And both had Viagra in their systems and neither had a prescription."