Chapter 50: The End, Or Is It?

Okay this is the last chapter. There is an epilogue after this and a sequel in the future, but that's it then :(

Living Room
Berica's House
4:30 AM
Tuesday
August 5th

Ben's POV:
Everyone finally went home around like 4 and we were cleaning up. I insisted we celebrate it since we didn't celebrate it when we were on a mission and they didn't when I was in the hospital. So we would celebrate the 4th of August.

We'd all had a great time. If I'd learned anything over the years, it was that choosing to stay at Spy School or even going in the first place was the best decision I could have ever made.

Because of it I met Chip, Jawa, Alexander, Cyrus, Catherine, Zoe, and even Erica. Mike had gotten admitted eventually too. We had all kinds of adventures together and I even thawed the Ice Queen. I met my wife there and had no idea. As a kid I always thought there was no way she'd ever like me, but she did. 

Now we were finally together and she was as amazing and intriguing as ever. 

We finally got everything cleaned up and sat on the couch. I wrapped my arms around her and held her tight. I rolled onto her most of the way and rested my head against hers. (No dirty comments please, they're just cuddling and talking I guarantee.)

"Woah there tiger, be careful not to hurt your leg."

"You can stop worrying E. I'm perfectly okay. Especially lying here with you."

"What's up?"

"I can't hold you tightly for no reason?"

"Well of course you can baby but the entire time we were cleaning you seemed lost in thought with a wistful smile on your face."

"Can't get anything past you, can I?"

"Nope. Well maybe except for the fact that you knew I was throwing you a birthday party and were gonna use it to propose. But that was a one time exception."

"I was thinking about that day when Alexander was sitting across from me in my living room. How going to Spy School changed my life forever."

"For the better or worse?" She smirked.

"Hmm... let's see. I met most of my friends there, got to become a spy, and met the love of my life. Who saved me at every turn. The one that occasionally let her guard down with me. Who tried to cheer me up. Who remembered my birthday before I did even though she'd been kidnapped and tortured. Who is the most beautiful and amazing person I've ever met. I'm gonna go with for the better, guaranteed."

She blushed slightly with a small smile played across her face. I kissed her neck and brought my face right above hers. I stared into her eyes and smiled myself.

"And that right there. That adorable smile of yours. The little blush. As a kid I would have done anything for one of your rare smiles."

"Why?"

"Because you amazed me. I idolized you. I wanted nothing more than to impress you and make you like me. But I also knew I couldn't make you do anything."

"True."

"Why didn't you ever tell me you liked me then?"

"Well what happened with Joshua hurt me and made me scared of being hurt."

"That's fair. But did you never want to tell me?"

"Of course I did. But I got scared and didn't."

"When?"

"When we were up in the Washington Monument together the first time. And every time we had some romantic moment throughout the years. But I chickened out and just distanced myself from you."

"Then why did you say it was complicated when I asked you?"

"Because it was." 

"Well maybe but I just asked if you liked me. Not if you wanted a relationship or whatever."

"Well maybe but I was also annoyed at you for taking advantage of my weakened mental condition. And you kinda were because you were probably gonna ask me out if I said yes, correct?"

"Maybe. Fair point. And also I'm sorry for taking advantage of it. I just really wanted to know and knew you probably wouldn't tell me on your own. But it wasn't right and I apologize."

"It's okay." She smiled.

"When you kissed me in Vail, you said it was just because you didn't want the last few seconds of my life to be terrifying."

"Yeah?"

"Was that the only reason?" I smirked knowingly.

"Maybe not. Was that why you were smiling as we flew off?"

"In part. I don't know if you know but when we were on the ski lift that last day, I wanted to talk to you and put the earbud you gave me in."

Understanding flashed across her face.

"You did what?"

"I put the earbud in... but before I talked to you to get your attention I heard-"

"Me and Zoe talking." She turned red.

"Yeah."

She groaned in embarrassment.

"You did?"

"Yeah."

"So you heard her say-"

"You were jealous Jessica hugged me? Yeah."

"So you were smiling because you figured out I liked you?"

"Yep. It would have also been your last moments alive too. You wouldn't have kissed me if you didn't like me or at least enough to spend the last seconds of your life kissing me."

"Then why'd you ask me if you already knew?"

"Because I wanted to see if you would actually tell me or continue to deny it."

She punched my shoulder.

"Ow?"

"Why did you wait though?"

"I already told you before."

"I know."

"Because every girl that liked me wasn't you. It was awkward with Zoe, especially with someone constantly glaring at her."

She feigned innocence. "I wonder who..."

"But it just wasn't right. So I waited in hope for us. I knew you hadn't been ready before but I wasn't sure and knew you'd come find me if you changed your mind."

"I still can't believe you waited for me that long."

"Well I knew from the moment I saw you that I loved you. Even as a scrawny 12 year old boy."

We lay there together quietly a few minutes before she spoke again.

"I love you Ben."

"I love you more."

"I'm glad it ended this way for us."

"Me too, though I doubt it's ending quite yet. Something tells me we're just getting started."

If only I knew how right I was and how much was in store for us.