Simula

Baby

"Ma, are you serious?" I asked in disbelief.

I really couldn't believe that my parents are now allowing me, when in fact, just a week ago, I cried on them because they didn't want to support me on my decision.

"You're really allowing me to study in Manila?" Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala.

Am I dreaming? Heck! Am I!?

Mama sat beside me and brushed my hair with her hand, which she always does by the way. And it always feels great.

"I talked to your Papa last night about it." She uttered in her soft voice.

"And?", I asked impatiently.

She chuckled a little because of the anticipation laced on my voice.

"Well, your father didn't approve it a hundred percent. And I know that you know that, right?" She's staring at me with that comforting eyes I always see whenever she wants me to understand a certain situation.

I nodded sadly.

Mama took a deep breath before tacking some strand of my hair behind my ears. She's looking at me lovingly.

"But of course, your Papa has always been supportive of you since the day you were born." She smiled, closed-lips. "He understands that you are no longer our baby anymore."

Something warm spread inside my chest. It made me emotional all of a sudden. Naalala ko kung gaano akong suportahan ni Papa sa mga gusto kong gawin at ma-achieve. He has always been the best dad!

"But he's allowing me now, Ma? What made him change his mind po?"

"You know that you will always be our first baby, right?" I nodded. "And as much as we wanted to keep you here, being protected and guided by us, we also want you to be independent and spread your wings and explore all the possibilities this life has to offer." She smiled as she continues.

"We always believe in your ways and we know that you really wanted it. All we want is for you to be happy with your choices. And this is one of them and we are always so proud of you."

I stared at my mother's loving eyes, mirroring mine.

With the emotions flooding in me, I immediately hugged her tightly. My family has always been there for me, cheering for me always and pushing me up to always be at my best. We used to always be together and I know that it is hard for them to let me study in Manila while they are here in our province.

For a traditional family like ours, I understand that it wouldn't be easy for them to let me go and let me live away alone from them to study when there's actually a university near us which offers the same course that I wanted.

But there's a big and well-known university in Manila which offered me a scholarship for any course that I want. All expenses will be covered! They offered me the scholarship as a prize for winning in a quiz bee held in their university last month. And I felt so happy with that achievement of mine!

Nanghihinayang rin kasi ako kung hindi ko tatanggapin iyong scholarship kahit kaya naman akong pag-aralin ni Papa at Mama. May negosyo naman kami at may educational plan naman silang inilaan para sa amin ng kapatid ko.

Naisip ko rin kasi na sayang ang mga opportunities na kakaharapin ko kung sakaling itutuloy ko ang pag-aaral sa Maynila. Isa pa, doon din naman ako maghahanap ng trabaho when I graduate, might as well also study there so I wouldn't be culture-shocked in the future.

Aside from that, I also want to experience living in that kind of place. I mean, I practically grew up in a province and used to do things with my parents' guidance. Though, we sometimes visit Manila and other places during vacation breaks, iba pa rin kapag doon ka nakatira.