Kabanata 12

"Sometimes the things we complain most about are the things we care most about. Unfortunately, we don't always know that unless it's too late"

-ctto

__________

The Christmas vacation in Norway was totally a bomb for us. I was able to bond not just with my family but also with Edzel's and his cousins Shirina and Ryley. There were no dull time when I was with them, and that made the vacation a lot more special.

Shirina and I kept our communication since then. She open send me dm in Instagram and call me on Facetime. I think my friendship with her was the best gift I received last Christmas, well that's aside from the latest Iphone my Papa gave me and the limited edition polaroid camera from Edzel. They really knew how to make my heart melt!

"Love, preheat the oven for 20 minutes...", Mom instructed me as she was preparing all the ingredients in baking cookies, "Make it 350 degrees Fahrenheit"

I obliged at her and came back as soon as I turned on the oven.

She told me what to do step by step and I was just doing what she's saying. While I'm mixing all the ingredients and making sure that they are evenly mixed, my mom was asking me random things about school, professors, friends, etc., Until it came into a topic that suddenly made me felt uncomfortable.

"How's Edzel? I think you're good friends now, right?", she said normally, "I told you, that kid is so kind and gentleman. No wonder though, he's raised well by Dianna and Zeke".

All I did was nod as I used the cookie dough as an excuse to be busy.

"My love, do you know that when I was still pregnant to you, I was actually hoping of having a son because Dianna's baby was a boy?", that made me look at her, "But of course I was still so happy when you came out. You're already so beautiful the moment you came out from me, Czai", her soothing voice warmed my heart.

"Thanks Ma", I smiled sweetly before I continued mixing the dough.

"No worries, my love", she smiled sweetly, "Kaya yang si Edzel, I'm treating him like my own son 'cause aside from he is your Tita Dianna's unico hijo, he also feels like the son I never had", I could see genuine care through her eyes.

I looked at her softly and sincerely smiled as I say, "And he's been a good friend to me, Ma"

"Good! That's great!", her eyes sparkles, "You could even call him Kuya since he's nine months older than you...", that made me choked. I held my neck and my chest when it itched.

"Are you okay, my love? Wait for me, I'll get you water", she rushed to get a glass of water. She handed it to me and helped me by caressing my back.

"Are you okay now?", voice laced with concern.

"Yes po Ma", I cleared my throat, "Nasamid lang po"

She nodded and helped me now shape the cookie dough into hearts, "Let's put this inside the oven"

Tomorrow's Valentines day and since it'll happen on a Sunday, I decided to spend it with my family here in Batangas. I'm not sure if Edzel also went home to his family in Ilocos. Maybe he also did?

Our family will have a mini barbecue party tonight in our garden to celebrate Valentine. We're going to have an advance celebration because I need to go back to Manila tomorrow afternoon since I still have classes on Monday.