Kabanata 23

Months before the board exams, we filed our application in PRC Manila with our friends and some of our classmates. The review was became more serious that weekend was the only days that we could rest from everything.

Edzel and I made it sure to spend our weekends together without stressing ourselves from talking about the upcoming board exams and our reviews especially that we've been spending our whole weekdays burning eyebrows and studying all our past lessons. We usually date to some places around Luzon every weekend or just stay in our condo and cook our favorite foods.

There were just weekends that I hated staying in our condo because most of the time, Fayre visits us to 'hang out' because she gets bored and she has no other friends to go with. Shirina was out most of the time during weekends too because she's with her boyfriend.

"Hi!", Fayre greeted me one Saturday as soon as I opened the door, "I cooked seafood paella. I brought some here since I know this is one of Edzel's favorites", she raised the container and handed it to me.

"Thank you, Fayre. Come in", I smiled at her.

She nodded and I saw how her eyes roamed around as if looking for something or someone.

"Edzel's out for groceries", I closed the door and put the paella on the dining table while letting her sit on the couch, "you want anything? juice, water, or soda?"

"Just water, thank you"

I went inside the kitchen to get her a glass of water. When I came back, I saw her standing and looking at the pictures on the book shelves.

"Here", I put it on the center table and sat on the couch.

"Thanks", she uttered without looking at me because was busy looking around.

I put the throw pillow on my lap and leaned my back on the backrest.

"He didn't tag you along to go to groceries?", she asked all of the sudden, still busy with the photos.

"I'm having cramps right now. Dysmenorrhea", I simply said while holding a hot compress on my lower abdomen. She nodded afterwards then continued to look around.

We fell into silence for a moment until she spoke again.

"You've been together for how many years?", I don't know why but her voice sounded a bit critical now.

"More than three years..."

She pouted then sat on the single couch. She got the glass of water and drank a little.

"Was he your first boyfriend? Or....", I waited for the next word but she didn't continue so I assumed that she's waiting for my answer.

"He's my first and my only boyfriend", I felt a bit proud.

"Hmm.. likewise", she continued when my forehead creased, "He's also my first boyfriend"

I remained silent while she's drinking her water. I don't like where this conversation is going.

"Was he also your first... you know? bed?", she pointed out our bedroom. I swallowed hard. I'm feeling uncomfortable now. I think she noticed that, so she smiled warmly at me, "Hey, there's nothing wrong in that. I mean, you see, he's also my first in everything", now, I'm hating her smile!

My hold on the pillow tightened as the beating of my heart started to become faster.

"Why do you have to mention that?"