SIX

Photo credits: flag-free download, L-R Hallmarkchannel.com, imdb.com, general-hospital.fandom.com, soapoperanews.net   It's a face-off between two tall-dark-and handsome types.  Graham, the Golden Boy, and Bryan, Mr. Hollywood.   No wonder there is so much interest in this election.  They definitely will manage more than 21% of voter turn out this election!   (I think they'd better keep the smelling salts handy!)

***

Mayor Graham Morgan shook his head at Bill Gage, his advisor, public relations (PR) guy, and most-of-the-time-friend. Graham was forced to listen to Bill's argument a dozen times since the announcement in local paper yesterday. Graham was facing a challenger in the next election. But Bryan Daevey wasn't your average contender.

Nope. Graham mentally shook his head in disbelief. This sort of thing happened, but just not to guys like him. His town wasn't in DC or California. Evans Creek wasn't a big city like Detroit or Miami. It wasn't even a capital city like Boise or Helena. Evans Creek was a just an ordinary small town in Indiana. And yet, Bryan Daevey chose it. Bryan Daevey...as in HOLLYWOOD!

Well, acting anyway. Graham should have known something was up when Daevey moved here exactly one year and two days ago. But at the time, Graham was busy cultivating civic pride to counteract all of the negative media when the mall builders decided NOT to build in Evans Creek. But then a former daytime soap star moved here and created a national sensation.

Graham was hopeful when he first learned about the permits to break ground for Daevey's house. The town's contractors were dazzled by dollar signs when the first blue-prints started rolling in. The new house was bigger than City Hall, the Courthouse, and the Library combined. In addition to the extra work, Graham hoped Daevey's move might attract new residents.

At the very least, Graham hoped for a boost in business as the town attracted fans hoping for a glimpse of Daevey. Graham sighed. Aside from the work—and the irrepressible paparazzi—his hopes weren't meant to be.

Some media genius quipped that "The daytime soap star made the mysterious move to Nowhere Ville, USA." And added "Why he would choose such a random residence still remains a mystery, as the small-town smack in the middle of nowhere has very little to offer..." That sort of publicity killed small towns. While Graham got mad, Bill launched a counter-attack.

Bill arranged an interview with the media in which Daevey described Evans Creek with words like picturesque and charming. And then Bill worked his magic using the annual Independence Day Parade. The two-day festivities were extended to five days. The fireworks show was extended by 15 minutes and they even brought in a small carnival for the occasion.

Downtown area merchants set up food and merchandise booths outside. The gazebo in the center of the park booked live entertainment. The parade itself became a night event with light displays on the floats. And for the Grand Finale, Daevey held a photo-op and autograph signing for one hour before the parade—where he appeared as the guest of honor on the lead float.

Jesse was so excited to ride on the light-up float that Graham forgot to be annoyed with Daevey for causing such a ruckus in the first place. Looking back, he actually enjoyed the events and thanks to Bill's quick thinking, it was good for Evans Creek. Photo ops splashed all media formats as word of the week-long celebration with their celebrity guest of honor spread.

Tabloid adjectives littered almost every article that referenced Daevey. Graham thought it was rather nauseating. He'd had enough of that sort of attention but that was just as a high school football star. He couldn't imagine how Daevey handled the national adoration. Personally, Graham found it exhausting to maintain the public image of perfection.