TWENTY-ONE

Photo Credits: house-thedailymeal.com, invite-zazzle.com

My original notes sketched out six different scenarios for Christmas parties.  Parties are different when they're with work peers, close friends, or immediate family.   They all gave me a different light to shine on Ray and Graham but in the end, I chose this one.  

***

 "So, you need a little black dress that's kid-proof." Betsy waggled her eyebrows. "Wherever could Mr. Mayor be taking you this time?"

"Well, for your information," Arayna began as she climbed out and grabbed her duffel, "Jesse Morgan invited me to a Christmas party."

"The big shin-dig the last mayor's widow throws every year?"

Arayna was surprised that Betsy knew, but only for a second or two before she remembered she was back in a small town and everyone knew everything about everybody.

"Yes, so...I need help. I have formal wear, office clothes and a few short numbers I wore when I went to the clubs with Liz. But I have nothing that will work for this party. I was sort of hoping..."

"I have a few dresses I reserve for Christmas parties. Come on. If we're going to get you ready before that party starts, we have to hurry."

"I can help too." The little girl chimed.

"I'm sure you can." Arayna smiled down as she followed Betsy and realized for the first time the little girl hadn't left her side since bounding up earlier.

"That's Nora. She's from next door. I'm watching her tonight while her folks go out to a Christmas party."

"Tis the season." Arayna agreed.

"My monsters are at their dad's this weekend, so we have the place all to ourselves." Betsy announced with flourish as she waved Arayna into a lovely and surprising large master bedroom. Double-doors with stain-glass inserts and beautifully elegant silver handles stood out on the opposite wall.

"Balcony?" Arayna asked, as she crossed to the bed and deposited her duffel.

"Closet." Betsy smiled as she opened it up with flourish. "It was a balcony, but I always grumbled about not having enough closet space. I came home from taking my kids to my mother's one weekend—grumpy as a bear because Jordan didn't come again since he had to work again—and found he had walled in the balcony and installed these lovely doors."

"Wow." Arayna stepped inside and realized he must have knocked out the wall to her real closet as well, because this closet was much larger than a balcony.

"That's what I said too. He extended the balcony another foot and then knocked out the wall to join this space to the old closet. He doubled my hanging space, and added these drawers and shelves. I tell you, I felt like a princess."

"Past tense?"

"Yeah, well, prince charming turned into an asshole, but at least I got this amazing closet out of it." Betsy chuckled as she started draping dresses over her arm. "Here are some to get you started."

Arayna dutifully accepted the dresses and went off to try them on. After a careful review of each, Betsy and Nora decided on the little black dress: capped sleeves and a modestly scooped neck on a flowing A-line dress that ended an inch or so above her knees.

As Arayna turned to look at the back again, Betsy handed her a large rhinestone hair comb.

"Wear your hair up. I suggest a French twist. It looks nice but will stay put while your chasing a boy...or a man" Betsy added the last with a waggle of her eyebrows.